"It was a valid question," Luke murmured, trying to maintain the peace. "My control is good enough to sit like this after hunting, but, as I said, it wouldn't be wise for a human to get within arm's reach with how strong the bloodlust can get."

Daniel nodded and relaxed, although I suspected it was a conscious effort on his part.

"Would you mind telling us about your journey?" Nina asked, possibly trying to steer the conversation in a slightly different direction. "I love hearing people's stories, especially since the time of the outbreak, if they're willing to share them."

"I don't mind at all, although there isn't much to tell. I was visiting my grandparents in Ontario when the outbreak hit. Both of them were in wheelchairs and in an assisted living facility, so you can guess how that went."

Nina nodded sympathetically. The horror that would have occurred in such places wasn't something anyone wanted to dwell on. Many people in those locations got the vaccination and would have likely blamed the sneezing on allergies, not realizing a virus in their blood was reaching its peak. Even if they had been moved to a different building or into isolation, the large windows and glass doors would only hold back so many regular zombies.

"I joined a group of people," Luke continued, "and helped them expand a large farmhouse. It wasn't ideal, but it worked until the first wave hit. Half the people there started sneezing, and we gave them cars and sent them away."

"We had a similar problem when the waves hit," Nina murmured. "Although they were given the option of staying in the barn outside the fence or leaving. Most stayed, although a few left. Those memories still haunt me."

"Yours took it more gracefully than ours did. One man decided that if he had to die, he was taking all of us with him. He drove off, but came back around dusk with about fifty zombies in tow. He drove right through the fence."

I blinked and regarded the Runner beside me. These were details I'd never heard before, and judging by how closely everyone else was listening, Luke sure knew how to captivate an audience.

"Almost everyone was inside at that time. Some of us – myself included – tried luring the zombies away from one side of the house so others could get to the horse barn, but there were too many inside the fence. I ended up getting bitten, but escaped and locked myself in the chicken coop." He paused for a moment. "The coop was sturdy enough to hold the zombies at bay for the two days it took for me to turn. They lost interest after that, but the chickens were far from thrilled."

"I bet," I muttered with a faint chuckle.

He flashed his teeth at me in a quick grin. "A few didn't live long enough to complain about it. I had a rough idea of what to expect and managed to remain in control, although it's never been easy. Once I was a zombie, I no longer had to worry about the ferals, so I started searching for my family members." His eyes grew sad. "It took me months to find each household, but the main reason I found them so easily was because they were all zombies. The only one I haven't found is my younger brother. It isn't easy for me to go near Strongholds, but I checked, and he isn't in any of the ones near his house or mine."

"If you want, we can ask some other Strongholds if they've heard of your brother," Nina offered, "although I'm not sure how we could contact you if we discover his whereabouts. On a different note, Ironwind Stronghold would also welcome you if you chose to stay there."

Luke focused on Nina. "That is a very kind offer. If I may ask, Trinity mentioned you were testing a drug that helped control the bloodlust. And that you actually had a cure for the zombie virus?"

"Yes, the one for controlling bloodlust is still technically in the testing phase, although it's been successful on every feral and sane zombie so far. The cure reliably removes the virus from feral zombies and infected humans, although it has never been tested on a sane zombie. Ferals go comatose since the human mind is gone."