Chapter 22

-3rd person POV-

Jasmine clutched her hands nervously. Jake was missing. Her son had suddenly disappeared, and it seemed like her mate didn't care. Nicholas was barking out orders from his office ever since the sky turned dark and ice started falling from nowhere, mercilessly killing everything that it deemed as a threat. Jasmine wasn't dumb or ignorant. She knew that this was magic. Advanced magic. Someone was attacking them, but her mate was too egoistic to listen to her.

While Nicholas was too busy trying to get his panicked warriors to listen to him, Jasmine was already scurrying into an escape tunnel. Being in a warring pack had left her paranoid for her safety. So, she had decided to get some of the other mothers to build escape tunnels with her. It was well hidden deep in the ground with bare minimal lighting. Those that do not know of the tunnels wouldn't be able to navigate quickly as she did. She was certain that anyone from any other pack would not be able to catch up with her.

Except, she had underestimated her opponents.

Philip was a Librarian. He had done his research via the World's Library. He already knew about the tunnels and predicted that a few of them, including Jasmine, would try to escape from those tunnels. Waiting for them at the exit was none other than the twins with a few mages.

Nicholas had noticed that his own mate was gone. He didn't care about that woman who had given birth to two useless sons. If it wasn't the fact that she had given birth first, he would have never gone through the mating ceremony with her in the first. Right now, he was busy trying to keep his pack alive. The attack happened right after Southwind and Crescent moon declared war, so that means that they have been colluding for some time now. Cowards!

His plan was to get his warriors to search out the wizard and get rid of him or her. The wizard needs to be gone before they can launch a full attack on his enemies.

"Alpha, what... do you think we should do?" A warrior timidly asked, fearing the worst.

"Idiots! I told you. GET OUT AND FIND WHOEVER IS CASTING THIS SPELL!" Nicholas roared at his quivering warriors. They are warriors of the Darkvale pack! Yet here they are, quivering here like some newborn fowl? "All of you are such a disgrace to the Darkvale Pack!"

"But..."

"But what!" Nicholas bellowed.

"Sir...With all due respect." The head warrior spoke up. "If we go out there, we will die immediately. It is a warrior's duty to fight a battle, not die disgracefully."

"Warrior? You dare to call yourselves warriors!" Nicholas screamed. "You are just a bunch of girls who can't even get rid of one measly wizard! And don't think that I have no idea what you have been doing my dear head warrior. Did you think I wasn't aware of the girls and boys that you 'took custody' under you? If you have time to take their ass, you better have time to take the responsibility that comes with it as well!"

The head warrior paled. He never knew that the Alpha knew what had done to all those omegas and normal wolves. Don't tell me he also? No, he can't have.

"Oh, don't give me that look." Nicholas sneered at his head warrior. "Thanks to you, I just had to extend my hand and showed a little bit of sympathy and they'll come running over to me. Thanks to you, I don't have to deal with virgins. Nice and loosened, just as I like it."

"What..." The head warrior gulped. "What do you mean to say, sir?"

"We are a warring pack. Power is everything. If we win, whatever we say is right, whatever we do is right. Don't you think so too?" Nicholas laughed. A roar of approval erupted from the warriors in front of him. That's right, Nicholas thought. Sacrifice yourself for me.