Chapter 10

-Nathan's POV-

Tears were flowing out of my eyes as I ran indignantly back into the woods as fast as possible. I can't bear to be near him at all. Anymore. I mean, after what Kelvin has said out loud. Who would ever accept me? I was stupid to think that I could be with anyone. After all, I am a mateless wolf, there is no way for me to have one.

I ran all the way to a mysterious small cave, near a lake. I had found it by myself many years ago. It was a safe haven that conceals my scent, this place was never exposed, never find. It can be considered my home I guess, I lived here for most of my life when there wasn't anywhere else to go. I looked at the clothing that I changed into at the mall, this is the only thing that has any value left right now. Even more than me.

I walked to the familiar counter that only has a rusty knife on it. I picked the knife up and stared at it silently before bringing close to my skin. My mind was blank as I sank the knife into the skin like I have done so for the past six years. The fear of pain and blood had left him many years ago.

What the hell are you doing! Gale shouted in fear, taking control and throwing the knife away in an instant. But I was mad. From disgust, pain, rejection, and from being alive.

"Why does it matter, it's not like I can die. No matter how cut up or how torn up I am, I CAN'T DIE. I don't deserve to live so why can't I die." I cried to myself, drowning my sorrow with my cries. I can't stand this life anymore. No matter how long I scream or how hard I cry, I can't do anything to end this worthless life of mine.

I had given up on dying. There is no way for me to die. A small cut will not do anything to me. The rust wouldn't infect me. A stab to the heart would bring nothing more than a little pain and blood. That night, I cried myself to sleep and a feeling stirred in me, an unfamiliar feeling. A dark feeling.

---The Next Day---

Dragging my feet, I went to school fully aware of the probable harassment that could happen like every other day. I was not looking forward to it, I was not looking forward to seeing any form of life.

As I walked through the front gates of the school, a paintball shot was into my face. I could hear sneering and laughter at me. Luckily, I had changed out of those neat and nice clothing, I thought to myself as I wiped the paint off my face. The paint dripped boldly down the tattered and torn clothing trying to achieve their intended purpose of being worn. There was a sudden complete silence, no one laughed or said anything as I continued to move my way into the school yard. Anyone that made eye contact with me turned away with an unreadable expression. As usual, people were avoiding me, but something changed. Something was different. No one seemed to get into my way like they always had.

I opened the door and let it slam shut behind me since there was no one in the class yet. I took a seat at a dirty corner of the class. Gale whined in protest but I drowned out his cries. As people strolled in, all of them were avoiding me, a normal procedure except there wasn't tomato or eggs flying towards my direction as per usual. I remembered the dried paint that was still on my face. I got up and the girl behind me shriek. But I didn't hear it and simply head to the washroom to rinse my face. By the time I was done with peeling the dried paint off my face and my hair, I strolled my way back to my class, fully aware that class has started.

"Mr. Skye! Are you aware that you are late for my class? I will call your father to reprimand you if this continues." Miss Shen scolded in front of the class, expecting there to be laughter and chiding that followed as usual. But no one made a sound. I looked around and saw that there was fear in their eyes.

"Yeah, whatever. Call if you want, see if he actually cares." I told her nonchalantly. I slumped into my seat and laid my head down on my table, too lazy to listen to whatever this class is about. For the first time in my life, school lessons had been smooth going. There was no taunting or jeering of any sort. Just peace. Which only lasted until lunch break.

"Nathan, can I speak with you for a while," Jake spoke up during lunch. I could hear a gasp and murmur around me. Jake never speaks to me. Not at home, not at the pack, and certainly not at school.

"Sure, what could my dear brother who has not to acknowledge my existence for the past 10 years want from me," I said sarcastically, not in the mood for any jokes from him. Gale protested, trying to get me to play nice or be a bit nicer.

"How about somewhere more private." He asked, obviously uncomfortable with the attention we have and my unwelcoming, sarcastic tone. I nodded and let him lead the way. We stopped at a rather secluded part of the school which I have sort of expected from him. After all, he had never wanted me to be seen together with him.

"So, what do you want." I decided to ask bluntly, not up for any games at the moment.

"How are you? You have not been home for the past 2 days?" He asked. I was taken aback. He asked me how I was. I clenched my fist. As humorous as it was to be asked, I was furious with him asking that stupid question. When has he ever cared? Not once in the past decade, surely not now.

"How I was? Oh, I'm fucking fine. How could I not be when everything is the same?" I chided at him, "I am totally fine with being the stupidest shit in the pack if that's what you're asking since there is no way for me to feel otherwise."

"I was worried..."

"You were worried? Oh, that's new, I thought I couldn't even cover a tiny percentage of your feeling. Did Father want something from me? Or he is asking you to get me? Cause there is no absolute way you would care about me." I butted in.

"I'm sorry for not being there for you for the past..."

"It's a bit too late don't you think. Since I was born, I just wanted a little attention from any of you, a little bit of hope that I was still relevant, and when I never got it. I was just a convenience to help you become an alpha. I was used and tossed aside all the time. Do you know how does that feels? NO! Every day, you just stand there like the filial boy you are and listen to whatever Father asks you to do so don't tell me you're sorry!" I shouted at him, seething in anger.

"You have changed." That was what he said before running off to somewhere else.

I slid onto the floor and hugged myself. Anger had left me, and the now silent Gale just stood at the corner of my mind in disappointment. I don't know what to do anymore. What am I supposed to do now? I just rejected the help from a family member I always wanted help from. I guess we are not going to be with each other anymore. I stepped out of the room and head to my locker to gather up my things and leave. I can't stand being here any longer.