Chapter 32 ( Part 1)

-Nathan's POV-

There was a distinct atmosphere of unrest and distress in the Southwind Pack. Alex, dad, and I were there to help Luna and Christopher with the move. Instead of moving to the Crescent Moon Pack, Ray decided to move in with the Southwind Pack to be closer to Hallie. So there were big shifts going on in both packs, yet the situation in both packs was at two very different ends of a spectrum.

Crescent Moon was busy preparing a celebration. Banners, food stalls, even a stage was set up in the new, neatly paved courtyard- at Milo's insistence. Everyone in the pack was way too excited to celebrate the new additions to the Pack Family. Southwind, in comparison, was dreadful. Pack members are mostly locked up in their home, only the sight of the patrol team and a few daring children could be seen.

A few nights ago, during the celebration, members from both packs were present in the Crescent Moon pack. Since I am pretty well known to both packs, people had gathered near my table in hopes to get to know me. Needless to say, all of them overheard the conversations. Druid joining Crescent Moon and changing alliances, their former Alpha and Luna moving, and the most important part, Jake's mistreatment in the past.

Thus, Crescent Moon held a celebration as a welcoming gift to our new life. However, the Southwind pack was different, distrust that had been sowed into them because of Terui had now bloomed because of my conversation with their new Alpha and Luna. After my outburst, that night, two of the Southwind Pack members had approached me. I recognized one of the girls, mostly because she had been squealing and giggling at the back with a notebook in her hand when I was first introduced to the Southwind Pack. They introduced themselves as Carol and Fiona.

It seems that after my disappearance, their pack hadn't been great. Their Elder, Terui, had been hunting rogues mercilessly. It didn't matter if they had committed any crimes or hadn't broken any pack law, as long as they are a rogue. Lucas, however, had greatly disapproved of this which caused some friction within the pack.

The pack became divided. Some encouraged Lucas to report Terui to the council, others wanted Terui to overlook the action because the disappearance of a mate was not something easy to handle. However, Terui soon made it known that he was less interested in finding his own mate. More and more pack members felt that reporting Terui might be a better idea.

Paid sex, severe punishments, challenging an alpha's authority, forced mating. They were just some examples of what he had done over the four years. It had been a rough time for the Southwind pack. When he had decided to register as a teacher at a different state, many of the pack members were relieved. Only to find out that their Luna isn't someone who they thought he was.

"Lucas is doing pretty badly," Carol informed me while we watched Alex and Christopher haul boxes of items into a rented truck. "He always emphasized that we should treat each other like family and refused to sit by and watch anyone in trouble."

"Is that so?" I never knew.

"That's right, that child is always trying to help people." Luna commented, sitting down on the bench.

"Luna! That green summer dress looks beautiful on you." Carol exclaimed excitedly. It seemed they get along pretty well.

"Thank you, Carol."

"So, what happened?" I asked, curious to know more about what happened when I was not here.

"Well, after that night, Lucas has been refusing to sleep or be in the same room as Jake." Luna sighed. She didn't wish for her son to act like this, but it is not unpredictable. Just as Lucas had no idea how to deal with the whole situation, the Southwind pack probably had no idea if they should accept Jake. Their whole life, since Christopher's reign as an Alpha, they had been taught to respect and protect each other, to treat each other like close ones, like family. All of them cared for each other. To sit by and watch someone be abused wasn't part of their upbringing. Having the opposite as their new Luna was probably difficult for them to accept. "The rest feels like they are doing you wrong if they accept him."