Bua stepped forward and sat down beside Hadia. "Why were you working in a dim light Hadia?", she asked.

"I didn't realize that Bua", Hadia replied with her eyes low.

"Did Chaudrani sahiba (Rukhsana begum) say anything to you?", Bua asked. Hadia's hand stopped moving.

"That's why you are not going inside the Haveli, right?", Bua asked again.

Hadia nodded her head slowly but didn't look up. Bua heaved an audible sigh of helplessness.

"Will he go back again?", Hadia almost whispered.

"Yes", Bua replied.

"When?", Hadia lifted her eyes up to meet Bua's eyes. For the first time in years, Hadia was not crying while asking about him, but still, the intensity of pain her eyes held was heart-wrenching for Bua.

"Chaudhrani Sahiba said he will spend 2 months in the village", Bua said.

"Hmm that means I won't work inside the haveli for two months, that's great.", Hadia dissolved into hollow laughter. "Good for me Bua".

Bua took Hadia's face in her both hands and softly kissed Hadia's head.

"Allah will make a way", Bua said.

"Hmm", Hadia gulped the painful lump in her throat. 

"This pain won't last forever", Bua said in a comforting tone.

"I am fine Bua", Hadia mumbled. She was hurt but she was pretending that it didn't hurt her anymore.

Bua backed off "I know you are and it's completely alright to tell me".

"What happened?", Hashim's voice came from behind. Bua and Hadia turned their head, Hakim and Hashim were looking at them worriedly.

"Did someone say anything bad to you Hadia baji?", Hashim asked in concern.

"Oh God, I will teach them a lesson", Hakim jumped and performed some self-learned martial arts stunts. "Tell me who is it?",

"Did they hurt you again?", Hashim stepped forward.

"Relax, it's no one", Hadia's lips stretched into a forced smile.

"When I'll become a police officer, I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise I won't let Chaudhrani Sahiba or anyone else hurt you", Hashim said seriously. He was not satisfied by Hadia's reply at all. The boys were identical twins but their personalities were poles apart. Hakim was careless and bubbly, whereas Hashim always acted mature and has been a keen full observer.

"Okay", Hadia's lips stretched into a thin line. She knew Hashim won't listen to her excuses. 

"Let me reheat the dinner, I am so hungry. I am sure you both will be hungry too", Hadia stood up.

"Yesss", Hakim jumped.

"We have to revise our syllabus as well", Hashim said. 

"But I am sleepy", Hakim faked a yawn. "Very sleepy".

"Don't make excuses Hakim, your exams are starting from the day after tomorrow. Revision won't take much time.", Hadia's voice came from the kitchen.

"Okay", Hakim replied dejectedly and pouted "I hate exams".

Later at night, Hadia adjusted the quilt over Hakim and Hashim and walked up to another floor mattress, and laid down beside Bua. 

Hadia starred the cieling. Her mind was a mess. Just like every night she tightly held Bua and closed her eyes.