005: William Afton

"I'm sure you've noticed this by now, sir, but Michael is going to have to be put up for adoption," Dr. Schmidt told William with a small frown digging into the corners of his face. His typically smiling eyes were no longer bright with happiness. "The local police are filling out forms to send him to the adoption center as we speak."

"Which town is he being sent to?" 

"The next one over. Hurricane."

"That's the town I live in," William said. "But why are you telling me this?"

"I've noticed how close you've grown to him, despite how it's only been a few hours since you found him." Dr. Schmidt chuckled. "Heck, I saw you leaving him in the lobby so you could check him in, but then you went back to get him when he asked for you. If anyone else in this world chose to help him, I doubt he or she would do that."

William rested his hand on the back of his neck. "I guess so. I've just always liked kids. I've always wanted them for as long as I can remember, but I can't find a wife."

"You can always adopt. You could start with Michael when he's in the Center and up for adoption in a couple of weeks."

William's eyes widened. How had he not realized that?

"But I don't have the money to care for him," he admitted glumly. "I barely have enough to care for myself and open the restaurant my friend and I own. In fact, he actually paid for my groceries so I could leave the grocery store to bring Michael here."

Dr. Schmidt laughed. "You can always ask for help. Based on what you've said about this friend, he'd be willing to help you out. So why don't you go back in and explain to Michael what's going to happen, then go and ask your friend for help?"

"I guess so. My friend does love to help me out," he admitted, chuckling afterward.

"Then it's settled." Dr. Schmidt smiled broadly. "Go say goodbye to Michael. Make sure to tell him you'll be seeing him again soon."

William nodded his head and followed the doctor's simple directions. When he told the young boy that he had to leave, Michael was heartbroken. It was obvious. But he still smiled and said, "See you soon!" in a happy-ish voice. Now William was driving home to put away the groceries Henry paid for before heading back to Fredbear's. Now that he realized, Henry was most likely completing employee interviews now. Henry wasn't very good with other people. He might've been an extrovert, but he still struggled to talk with others. William felt a wave of guilt wash over him. He decided he would take his friend out to dinner, even if it was to the cheapest, sort of crappy diner a couple of blocks away from his neighborhood in Hurricane. Or he could make the two of them a nice dinner back at Henry's house.

But when William walked into his tiny house's kitchen, he found no food on the countertops. Oh no, he thought nervously. Don't tell me. He opened his pantry, the shelves stocked with what was at least one hundred dollars of food. He rushed to the phone and dialed Fredbear's building's number. Then he quickly headed back to the pantry, stretching the curly cord on the phone as far as it could go.

"Henry Emily, co-owner and engineer of Fredbear's Family Diner. How may I help you?" Henry asked mechanically after the second ring.

"Henry! You did it again!" He laughed, but he wasn't certain which emotion he was feeling most. It was a mix of anger and happiness, both of them taking turns being the strongest.

"Will? What are you talking about!" Henry asked, trying his best to act clueless. But he was a bad liar, so, of course, he laughed. "Yeah. I did. I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself."

"Well, it's a good thing you did this because you, my friend, are coming to my house for dinner. I've got to tell you something!"

Henry laughed. "Okay, okay, I will. I have to finish up this last interview you so gladly interrupted, then I've got a few things I need to drop off at my house, all right? I'll come over after that." He hung up, and William laughed.