Ghost Town

“YEOWCH!”

“Hold still, Polnareff. I still need to stitch up a few more holes, I'm still disinfecting.”

After making it to Pakistan, the group booked a hotel room to rest in. The encounter with ZZ drained the life of everybody, and it was yet to be noon!

Even though the Jeep you had was completely wrecked, you managed to salvage just a few of your belongings, including your battered first aid kit.

With it, you patched up Jotaro, Kakyoin, and Polnareff (in that order), leaving them to do their errands.

“I'm going to get a new jacket,” Jotaro said.

Putting his shirt back on, Kakyoin waved bye.“I'm off with Mr. Joseph to buy a plane ticket for Anne.”

Eyes fixated on your handiwork, you muttered a simple bye to them. Hearing the sound of the door closing left you alone.

Alone with your thoughts...and Polnareff.

“Jackie?”

“Yes, Polnareff?”

You stayed focused, eyes never wavering from his arm.

Polnareff bit his lip, unsure about how to begin.

“About…earlier this morning, what you said.”

“I said a lot of things today, Pol. You're gonna have to be a bit more specific.”

“I—I just wanted to apologize!”

His statement finally got you to look up.

“Apologize?”

Fiddling with his thumbs, Polnareff avoided eye contact as you stared at him. 

“I can be arrogant and hot-headed at times, which causes me to act impulsively in certain situations.”

“That certainly does sound like you.” you deadpanned.

Giving you an annoyed look, Polnareff pouted. “I'm trying to be serious, Jackie! I have to admit, Kakyoin told me that you were a little upset during our fight with J.Geil, but as time went on, I came to think that was a bit of an understatement.”

Putting your medical utensils down and taking off your gloves, you directed your full attention to him. The air was stiff, unmoved by the tension that filled it. “Look, Pol, it was upsetting to hear you disregard everything I said on that train. I know I was new at the time, but it's important to take into consideration the ideas of everyone in the group. Otherwise, if we don't cooperate, then what's the point of being a team in the first place?”

“You're right, Jackie, and I'm terribly ashamed for outing you like that. But because of me…”

Tears streamed down his cheeks. “Because of me, Avdol's gone!”

He choked on his words, lips trembling, unable to force out any more of his feelings by mouth. 

Instead, his eyes told you everything.