Chapter 16 - Deserted Island Special Test, Part 3

Start from the beginning

Crackle, crack, crack, crackle. I loved the sound that the dry leaves and twigs made when they were stepped upon. It was unexpectedly satisfying.

"Yo, Takeyama.", Yamauchi suddenly approached me, trampling over all the leaves that I was going to stamp over. Damn you Yamauchi. I hope that every leaf you step over in the rest of your life does not make a single sound.

"What?", I gave a disinterested answer.

"It's umm, it's Sakura-san", Yamauchi said, lowering his voice a little since she was basically right next to us, "I think I like her."

"I give you my blessings."

"No, that's not what I meant! I just wanted some tips, cuz, you know, you're like the boss at things like this. I'd say you're probably better at Hirata when it comes to girls", Yamauchi tried to flatter me.

"Uh-huh."

"So, will you give me some tips so I can let her discretely know that I like her?"

"No."

"Wait, why not!? I thought we were friends!", Yamauchi protested. A friend? I wouldn't go as far as to say that we were friends. I'd keep it at acquaintances.

I shrugged. "Just do what you normally do. It's a big turn off when guys act differently around the girl they like, and around other people. You may not notice it, but girls notice these things. It's these that make a difference later on."

"Damn, that's deep! I see how you pick up girls now! So you basically act the way you are, and be yourself! That's simple enough! Anything else I need to know?", Yamauchi was looking at me like I was his savior and master.

"Nothing else stands out, really", I said, "try to help her whenever you can, I guess? It always works."

"Help her out, and man up, right? Dude, thanks! I owe you one!", and with that, Yamauchi turned towards Sakura. I sighed. I don't think I should have told him the first point. If Yamauchi acts like himself, he will almost definitely not get the girl. He's probably the one person in the entire grade who HAS to keep a façade  to even stand a chance. I pitied the young man.

"Hey, Sakura, those branches look kinda heavy! Want me to carry them for you?", Yamauchi excitedly and boldly moved closer to Sakura.

"U-Um, no, thank you, Yamauchi-kun. I'll be fine", was Sakura's timid response.

At this point, every guy who had even a shred of common sense in him would immediately back off and give the girl some space. But it seems common sense was rather uncommon in Yamauchi.

"Hey, don't worry! A frail girl like you must be having a hard time lugging these around! I'll carry it, yeah?", and with that, Yamauchi forcefully grabbed over half of the twigs that Sakura had collected, and proceeded to mouth a 'Was that okay' at me. I just nodded, evidently trying to hide my mental facepalm. If there's one thing you should never say to a girl, it's that they're frail and weak. This man was a certified forever virgin.

We continued walking through the forest to gather a bit more fodder, and we stumbled across an unexpected sight.

A girl wearing our tracksuit, was sitting under the tree, with a bag in her hand. She had a swollen cheek, which indicated that someone must have hit her. A swollen cheek from natural causes seemed unnatural, unless a bee stung her inside her mouth. I ruled out that repulsive possibility. My eyes wandered up for a second, but it was enough time to notice a small white handkerchief tied around the second lowest branch of the tree she was sitting under. Was it a mark? Does that mean she intended to return back to this place? I glanced at Ayanokoji. Had he noticed the handkerchief? He probably did.