𝟏. the beginning

ابدأ من البداية

Her heart suddenly dropped into her stomach at the thought of the people she loved. Her best friend, Norah and her other best friend, Ryan.

Ryan was Kloe's best friend for many years. Although, the whole relationship was just one big lie. The only reason the girl had made everyone believe that they were a couple was because of her mother before... never mind.

She leaned forwards, her mouth parting as she began to speak, "What- what about Norah? A- And Ryan? I need to know if they're safe."

Zayn bit his bottom lip and shook his head before sharing a glance with his sister, "Ryan didn't make it. He arrived at my doorstep and- and then one of the geeks came out of nowhere and just... I'm sorry, Klo. And Norah, I don't know where she is - hopefully safe." The girl's eyes began to dwell up with tears, Ryan was one of her longest friends and now he was dead. Kloe quickly wiped away the silent tears that were falling down her soft cheeks as she leaned her head against the glacial window, watching all the cars driving the opposite way.

...

"Damnit, we're out of gas," Glenn bashed his hand against the steering wheel in frustration. The three young adults had been on the road for approximately twenty days. The whole Atlanta plan became a failure, the whole city was overrun with geeks.

"Guess we're gonna have to go find some," Zayn gripped onto the car handle and pushed it open, stepping his feet onto the concrete outside. Glenn soon did the same as did Kloe. Since they'd left home, they had managed to get a few weapons and supplies. The three didn't have anywhere to go, not that they knew of, so they'd practically driven all around Georgia. Kloe gazed up at a sign and saw an arrow facing upwards, saying Atlanta.

"Hey, we're heading towards Atlanta again, we're not safe here," the brunette spun around to Zayn and Glenn, who were both filling their backpacks up with supplies. Glenn lifted his chin to look at Kloe, throwing a hand up to his eyes to shield them from the sun.

"We're not safe anywhere," he said, sending an innocent smile before seizing onto the knife that was placed in his belt. She silently rolled her dark brown eyes at him, turning back to the sign. For Kloe, the whole atmosphere was extremely different, and she still wasn't used to it. It was always silent, no planes in the sky, no cars, nothing.

The first car the three had started with, they'd lost. Glenn, Zayn and Kloe had gone on a supply run, leaving the car they had on the side of a road. On the supply run, they luckily got some walkies. They came back to see the car stolen, another survivor had taken it. Luckily, Zayn had found an open car that was full on gas, so they quite simply took it.

"I'm going in the woods, see if I can find a cabin somewhere with supplies," Kloe informed as she grasped onto her bow and quiver full of arrows as she turned to the two men.

"Not by yourself," Zayn said firmly, sending his sister a hard glare. She reacted by dramatically rolling her eyes as she returned the glare that he was once giving the girl.

"Okay, you two, stop," Glenn stepped in between the brother and the sister, holding his arms up, realizing that the siblings were exceedingly close to physically fighting each other. Ever since the apocalypse had begun, the relationship with the siblings had gone downhill. Kloe thought she had every right to be pissed with him, but in reality, all he did was save her. "Someone needs to stay with the car, I'll go with Kloe if you don't want her by herself, Zayn."

Although the brunette wanted to be by herself, being with Glenn couldn't be too bad, he wasn't as annoying and over-protective as her brother. The two younger adults looked at Zayn for an approvall, which he eventually gave in and nodded.

"Okay. You both better talk to me on these," he tossed over a walkie over to Glenn, who caught it with one hand, "Be back in two hours." He spun on his heel, heading towards the car. The girl dropped her shoulders, sighing as she tightened her grip on the bow.