Chapter XIII: Why?

Start from the beginning

Stumbling to the ground, my mom held her hands in front of her face in an act to protect herself. Her body trembling in fear as I knelt down to her level.

"Yui I'm so sorry. We made a mistake, we should've never met with that woman. We didn't know she was going to treat you so poorly! We should've done our best as a family, but we still can! I can help you, give you anything you need-"

Grabbing the collar of her shirt I pulled my mom close, my own body trembling as I held myself back from doing something I'd regret.

I want to kill her, end her own pathetic life with my own hands-- but then she wouldn't be suffering anymore. I want her to live, to live in regret for what she did to me, to be ashamed of herself with every breath she takes. 

"I don't need anything from you and I'm not your fucking family. You made that choice yourself fifteen years ago, it's too late to take it back now."

Pushing her back towards the ground I stood up, my gaze cast down on her trembling form with no remorse. 

It was only then that I remembered the raven-haired man standing behind me, a quick glance behind me showing that his eyes were focused on the scene in front of him, his gaze of surprise quickly turning to a neutral mask when my gaze met his. 

I know nothing about him, but he just keeps getting to learn everything about me. How is that fair?

At least he's being quiet for once. 

Turning back towards my mom before getting lost in my own thoughts about Dabi, I spit on the ground in front of her for good measure, my heart hurting for what could've been.

I guess it's fitting isn't it?

A villain does need a tragic backstory after all.

"I've found a new family mom-- one that's just as fucked up as I am and accepts me for who I am. They are more of a family to me than you will ever be."

Walking past my mom's trembling figure, I intended to leave and not look back just like that, that was until that familiar deep voice rang out from behind me.

"Damn woman, if she's calling me family then you really must've fucked up huh?"

My eyes widened in surprise as Dabi's right arm lit up in flames, his hand extended out towards my mom making her tremble even more. 

"That's your old home, right doll?"

Dabi's sudden question caught me off guard, my gaze following his as I looked at the house behind my mom, memories flooding through my veins without warning as I looked at the place I once called home. 

Nodding my head in confirmation, I watched as Dabi's arm lit up even more with flames, the blue fire starting to engulf his entire arm .

"Any attachment?"

Gazing at the house I took in Dabi's question, memories playing in my head as I saw my younger self running throughout the house, a smile on my face as I chased my mom out onto the front yard, my dad laughing as he watched the scene unfold before him. 

"No, none at all."

Grinning maniacally, Dabi raised his arm so that it was no longer pointing at my mom, but instead the house behind her. 

"Good, I've been dying to fuck up something since our fun got ruined earlier today. Looks like it's your unlucky day lady."

I watched, a whirlwind of emotions going through my mind as my mom's scream rang out, my childhood home lighting up in a beautiful cerulean blue as her backdrop.