xxi | a stream of thunder

Oakley stood in the living room of the house, for the first time uncomfortable at a party with her friends. Ever since a month ago, the group hadn't been the same.

Harvey was much more distant from them, always turning down their weekly outings so he could stay in, brood and drown himself in his own hard liquor.

It was no surprise that accidentally, Lennon wrecked havoc in Cannibals, faster than the Road Runner on Looney Tunes. She couldn't necessarily blame her either. Harvey's rashness is what got them tangled into a such a mess in the first place.

And Oakley wasn't so quick to believe that Lennon would sleep with Calvin, on the same night she went out with Harvey. Unless her judge of character was completely off, something told her that there was much more to what happened that night. And she was going to find out exactly what that was.

"Hey." Finn's deep accent penetrated her thoughts, and she looked up at him and returned the greeting. "Wanna dance?"

"W-what?" Oakley stammered out, not expecting that request. She then noticed that the music was slower, and she recognized an FKA Twigs song playing.

"Come," he pleaded softly, guiding her by the hand to the open space in the living room.

Looking towards the ground, she swallowed hard in an attempt to calm her racing heart. He placed his hand on her hips, and her heart beat spiked.

"You say you want me, I say you'll live without it," the artist serenaded out the speakers. "unless you're the only one who instigates, got your mouth, open your heart..."

They swayed from side to side in an almost calming manner, and Oakley relaxed a bit when she realized this could only be a friendly gesture.

It shocked the hell out of her when he quickly spun her around and tightly pressed her body to his own.

"Finn!" She gasped out, her eyes wide as she saw people had the same look as her own on their faces. What the fuck was he doing?

"I should've done this so much longer ago," he whispered in her ears, his breath caressing the side of her neck. "But my eyes are wide open now."

"Are you high?" She had to ask, so her heart wouldn't break into tiny fragments.

"I'm as sober as a rehab patient," he said with a laugh, before dipping his head towards her ear. "I know you like me, and don't dare tell me just as a friend."

Her breathing ceased, and immediately she moved away from him, but he grabbed her wrist to pull her back to him.

"Stop running away," he told her. "Running is what you've been known to do your whole life."

Oakley's eyes steeled. "How the fuck would you know? It's not like you've spoken to me enough in the past year and a half to know shit about my life-"

To shut her up, he cradled her face in his hands and stared into her green eyes. "I'm in love with you."

Her eyes widened and before she could respond, he brought his lips down onto hers.

--

Free sat in the kitchen with Calvin, bored out of their minds. She sipped on a red solo cup, and she glanced around the room. When her eyes landed on Finn and Oakley, she choked on her drink.

"Oh shit! Calvin, look!" She thwacked him hard on the stomach, almost making him double over.

"Ow! What the hell?" Angrily, he looked at her and he followed the direction her finger was pointed in and he swore.

"Oh, yeah! Get it, Finn!" He hollered over the music. "Finally your ass was man enough to admit it!"

Finn broke away from Oak, and shot him the middle finger. "Shut the hell up."

Oakley laughed, hiding her red face in his shoulder as they made their way over. She was embarrassed, but she was more joyous than anything else.

"I never even realize you guys liked each other," Free stuttered out, her eyes wide in shock.

"It's because you're denser than bromoform," Finn said, with a smile as he tucked Oakley into the crook of her shoulder.

"Wait, what? The hell is Blowcoform?" Free asked, confused. "Is that a drug or some shit?"

Oakley rolled her eyes. "It's an organic compound, and it is one of the densest liquids on earth. Maybe if you went to your Chemistry class more often..."

"Hey, hey," She cut in, with a chuckle. "Now is not the time for all that science. Let's drink to this!"

"Drink to what?" Harvey appeared next to Free, a wide smile on his face. He seemed happier than he was before as he tossed his hand over Free's shoulder.

"Oakley and Finn are together," Calvin piped up. His grin widened.

"About fucking time, man," Harvey congratulated, with a slap onto Finn's back. "I thought this day would never come."

Free sighed in exasperation. "Am I the only one who didn't know about this shit?"

He bumped her shoulder and let out a laugh. "You're just oblivious to so many things."

"Well, so are you," Free shot back, raising an eyebrow as she took a sip of her drink.

"Eh," he shrugged a shoulder nonchalantly and grabbed the cup of liquor out of her hand.

She pouted but turned to smile at her friends. "Let's celebrate this momentous night!"

They all raised their cups to the ceiling and yelled simultaneously: "TO THE CANNIBALS!"

----
a/n: no funny shit but like that was supposed to be a gif and that was the closest I could find to how intimately close I wanted them to be.

till next time,
-rachel.