Chapter One:

This story contains mature themes like gay sex, abuse, and other things of that nature. If you don't like any of these things then don't continue reading because this story that especially in this chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if this is your cup of tea, I encourage to read and give feedback!! Hope y'all enjoy!!!

Chapter One: Courage

Seth’s P.O.V.

“Son’ we’re going out with your grandmother tonight,” my dad said, coming out of the kitchen and into the living room. I looked up from my book and at my dad. He was in his late forties and was the living embodiment of the working class. His blond was cut close to his head and stern, grey eyes. He wore an ironed plaid shirt, jeans, and black work boots.

“Where?” I asked.

“To some local steak joint your grandmother has been going on about,” Dad said, rolling his eyes. My mother came in, putting on earrings. She had light brown hair pulled back into a bun, exposing her wide, doey brown eyes. She had on a jean skirt and a nice blue shirt.

“Oh, Robert, stop it. You’re getting steak so you don’t get to complain,” Mom said, smiling sweetly towards the end. Dad smiled at her. She was the only one to receive one of my dad’s rare smiles.

“Alright,” He said, returning to his gruff manner. “I’m leaving in five minutes; I will leave your mother.” We all knew he wasn’t kidding. He has left all of us at least once. My grandma had been left more times than I could count. My mom rolled her eyes and sighed as my dad left. She picked up her purse and said to me, “Okay, Seth stay at home and try not to get into trouble,” she teased. I was a straight A student who never stepped a toe out of line in my life.

“I’ll try,” I smirked.

“Seriously,” Mom said, putting her purse over her shoulder, “just call if you need anything.” I nodded and we said goodbye. A couple of minutes later, her and my grandmother left.

Silence fell over the empty house, making me nervous. I wasn’t sure if it was because of me being alone in my grandmother’s house, or just the oppressing silence. It was probably a mixture of both. I hadn’t been alone in this house since we moved in a month ago. We moved in after my dad lost his job at a construction firm that went under. It took Dad a lot of prides swallowing to let all of us move in here. Ever since then, he had been quiet and angry (not that he had been a basket of kittens to begin with), always out looking for a job. Each day my dad came here without a job, the more tension there was. The only thing that helped alleviate the tension was that my mom had a job teaching in the next town over so some money was coming in, but not a lot. My grandma didn’t mind us living here, but Dad sure did.

I looked at the clock. It was only seven and they wouldn’t be home until at least ten. I was going to go out of my mind. I had read this book at least four times now and Grandma had nothing else do in the house.

I knew what I wanted to do, but I didn’t have the guts to do it. Or did I? Did I have the courage to be me for once in my life? Yes, I did.

I got up and put away my book. Then I ran out the door and ran to bus stop, two blocks away. Luckily for me, I got there with a minute left to spare. I was on the bus stop, for half an hour until it reached downtown Kansas City, Missouri. My heart was pounding, pulsing with adrenaline as I walked to Rumours, the only gay bar in Kansas City.

I didn’t know for sure if I was gay, or not. I didn’t want to be. Everything I was taught about from church and my parents was that a man loving another man was wrong and a woman loving another woman was wrong. They didn’t get go together according them, but in my fantasizes they did. I didn’t think it was disgusting like they said it was, but each time I dreamed of a man I felt like it. I had to go here, to experience for myself whether or not it was right or wrong. I had to know.