26 • Evergreen

"I'm starting to think that's one of your prerequisites," I tease.

"I'll add it to the list," Nik promises.

"Oh, there's a list?" I ask, eyebrows raised.

"A very short one," he answers, shaking his head. "Not as long as yours, I'm sure."

"Hey!" I scoff, offended.

Trotter and Minka are dredging through at least one foot of freshly fallen snow. And not to quote a Christmas song, but it doesn't show signs of stopping and I do not have any corn for popping.

"Are you on a strict schedule today?" Nik breaks the silence.

"Let's see, I do have to get home and mope around at some point," I joke. "Other than that, nothing planned."

"Are you up for a minor detour?" Nik's eyes search mine.

"What kind of detour and how minor are we talking? My bones are chilling as we speak."

"No wonder," Nik says, throwing my earmuffs mad shade. He pulls a black beanie from his coat pocket. "Here. Wear this."

"Thanks."

I pull the beanie over my head, and I'm engulfed in Nik. Well, it smells like Nik anyway -like pine and musk and winter bonfire.

"So this detour?" I nudge him. "Don't keep me in suspense."

"It's on the way back -the long way back," he says. "It's a secret section of the tree farm."

"Oh?" I find it hard to believe there's a single inch of my aunt and uncle's farm that I don't know about.

"A little strip of trees, always crowded with deer. Very your type," Nik grins.

"Very my type?" I laugh.

"No people."

I start laughing until I have to clutch at the stitch in my side to breathe again.

"Ok, detour it is."

We circle around the field that leads back to Trodder's, and instead emerge from the wood into a secluded hollow.  Two rows of towering pine trees cut across the center, creating a tapered gap just wide enough for a sleigh to fit through.

Every square inch is covered in untouched snow. Virgin snow. I can't see the ground. I can't see trees! I see the shapes of trees, but their verdant branches no longer exist, replaced instead by fluffy cotton balls.

"Welcome to Evergreen Alley." Nik watches my face light up.

"There's nothing green about it!" I laugh. "This is spectacular. And before you ask, yes we have trees in New York."

Nik shakes his head laughing but doesn't comment. He pulls the hat from his head and shakes out the snow. I can't help but stare at his luscious hair.

"Should we stretch our legs?" Nik asks as he's already disembarking the red sleigh.

"The snow is going to reach my waist," I say, hesitant.

"Scared?"

"Ugh," I sigh, rolling my eyes.

I jump from the sleigh and sure enough half my legs disappear into the deep white. Nik laughs from behind me. I turn to see he's very close -and very tall. I'm not used to standing up around him.

"I'm already shrinking," I joke.

"Come, I'll help." Nik stands beside me, extending his arm to help balance me.

"Am I being a damsel again?"

"I thought you weren't a damsel?" He reminds me. "Let's walk over here. There's a bit less snow closer to the trees."

Nik half guides, half drags me towards the base of the pine trees. He's right. It is a bit easier to walk -only maybe six inches of snow. My 'white' mitten is not in fact white at all. It's a gross urine color next to the cotton ball branches.

"How badly are you dying to hit the tree?" Nik asks, amused.

"And turn Evergreen Alley green?" I feign disgust.

"Come on, do it," Nik urges. "I dare you."

"Bets. Dares. What are you, 10?"

"Only off by 20 years," Nik grins. "Not too bad."

So, the puzzling Nik has an age now too.

I lean real close to Nik's chest, brazenly place a palm against his peacoat, and smack the tree with my free hand, spraying us both with a stream of snow.

"Noe!" Nik shouts in laughter.

My nickname of endearment is not lost on my ears.

Nik fake tackles me into the snow and escapes my wrath just in time to make a snowball that he launches straight at my face. I catch it in a mouthful.

"Spectacular fashion," Nik laughs.

I lay into the snow, thankful for Nik's extra hat. My hair is a solid -1 out of 10, but 'tis the damn season, right?

Nik plops down in the snowbank beside me. We're under a great pine whose branches start 10 feet off the ground.

"This is beyond serene," I admit, feeling all warm and cozy from the eggnog.

"Not so bad not having plans and living in the moment, huh?"

"No, it's not. Lowkey wish you had some more eggnog though," I admit.

"Is that a subtle hint to take you home?" Nik asks.

"No." I shake my head playfully. "Unless you have more wreaths to make or trees to chop."

"I am off the rest of the night," he smiles.

Ugh, that smile! Look away, Noe!

"Let's do something," Nik says.

"Tonight?" I almost scream that I blurt it out so fast.

"Right now, but we'll come back to tonight," he says, running his hand along his jawline.

Thanks for calling more attention to it, Nik.

"Do you want to build a snowman?" Nik suggests.

"Am I in a Disney movie?" I ask, craning my neck for hidden cameras.

"What?" Nik asks, head hanging low. "Clearly I'm too old for that reference."

"Clearly."

"So, is that a yes to the snowman?" Nik asks, holding up the two splintered branches.

"Only if you promise we don't pretend he's Parson Brown."

"I insist."

———

[Hi eggnoggers! Made this cute chapter aesthetic below]