Chapter 11

Along their journey back to the Little Palace, Aleksander had decided to detour via the First Army war camp by the Fold to check for any updates about the earlier attempt on Alina’s life. Riding into the camp alongside Aleksander down the dusty narrow lanes between tents, Alina expected to be overwhelmed by a sense of DeJa'Vu and homecoming. She was quite surprised that she felt neither.

Alina was used to receiving stares when she had walked through the camp previously. Stares filled with dislike and judgment for her skin. Scorn to her weaknesses, not being able to contribute through skill in battle. But these stares were different.

People stopped in their tracks and ducked their heads out of tents to see the small procession trot by. All eyes were filled with respect or fear. Silence fell over the soldiers they passed by, conversations starting up again behind them in hurried quiet voices. More than once Alina heard “Sun Summoner” and “Sankta Alina” whispered with reverence in her wake amongst the far more common whispers of “General Kirigan” and “The Darkling”. The whole experience was quite unsettling and she was happy to be left in the calm of the General’s tent while Kirigan went to get updates from his men.

The General’s tent was also a luxury that made being back in the war camp feel surreal. What had happened in her life that now she was considered almost an equal to the great General whose company she kept. Despite plush cushions and rugs, the luxuries couldn’t quite disguise the fact that this was a tent in a war camp. Collapsing into an upholstered chair in the corner of the tent, Alina’s eyes roved to the entrance flaps. Dirt was scattered on the floor, more dispersed the further into the tent it got. Apparently even tents with servants struggled to keep the grime of the infantry at bay. Hung on the tent walls between tapestries were a variety of swords, on the tables between decorative vases and plates were maps of the Fold and the land on the other side. No matter how many comforts were placed by the servants there was no hiding the fact that this was the residence of a general of war.

***

The air was warm but not too hot, the layers of noise from the camp blurred together in the background, the chair was so comfortable compared to her time on the ground, that the combination must have lulled Alina to sleep as she woke with a start to a darkened tent and a feminine clearing of a throat.

“Genya!” Alina exclaimed, jumping from her seat to run over and throw her arms around her friend, “What are you doing here?” As she stepped back, Alina saw Aleksander walk into the tent behind her, a grim expression on his face.

“I came from the Little Palace as soon as I heard you would be coming here,” Genya began, drawing the attention of Alina again, “I have news of who sent the assassins after you..”

Alina’s mind whirred. She had almost forgotten that someone had attempted to kill her. Had killed someone in her place. The journey to find the Stag and the encounter with the Fjerden had blocked everything else from her mind. With this reminder those fears came back, if one assassin had been sent after her then surely there would be others. But this time she had the reassurance that she could protect herself better than before, her hands started glowing faintly, the power from the Stag so close to the surface.

“General Zlatan.” The sharp words from Aleksander broke through her thoughts and caused the light beginning to form to cut out. Aleksander glanced from Alina’s hands and back to her face to make sure she was present before he continued, “Though I’m sure we all know those orders would have first come from his king”. His lips curled into a snarl as he spat the last words, his distaste in the king obvious.

Anger flared in Alina, “Why would he want to have me killed? I haven’t done anything!”

“You’re a threat to him” Alexsander replied simply, as though that should have been obvious.

“But I hadn’t even showed anyone outside of our ranks that I could even conjure light when he would have had to make that order. How could he know I was a threat?”

Aleksander sighed, “It’s what you stand for that’s a threat. You heard the first army out there, people believe you to be a saint. Belief from the people and perceived power is more important than actual power in a war. If his people believe in you, and you are with me, why would his army fight us? You are a threat to his plans simply by existing, regardless of your intentions or abilities.”

Alina’s face drew into a frown, so many people had been making judgements about her without even knowing her for as long as she remembered. This was really no different, just the outcome more deadly that is used to be. Her frown eased as her expression hardened into resolve, “Fine.” She bit out, “He sees me as a threat? Let’s show him just how much of a threat I really am.”

She lifted her eyes to the Darkling as he raised the corner of his mouth into a smirk, and with a tone laced with both amusement and vengeance said one simple word, “Let’s.”

***

As Alina walked through the camp the next morning, it was eerily still. They had to rise early to make the next scheduled crossing of the fold. A high-ranking audience was needed when they arrived for their plans to succeed, and this ship was going to be packed with ambassadors and gentry. The timing of their return to camp couldn’t have been better.

Most of the army was still abed, the habits of late nights drinking around the fires didn’t work well with rising at dawn. A few soldiers were around, walking between tents with their heads down, but few and far between. As Alina’s sweeping gaze ran between the rows of tents, it froze on a solitary figure.

Unlike the others, this one was still. Head raised and staring right at her. Unlike the others, this figure she knew.

Mal.

Alina’s breath caught in her throat as she was flooded with memories of their shared past. The orphanage, the army, their times apart and together again. She had almost taken the first step towards him when habit drew her gaze to the palm of her hand, where she used to carry the memory of him.

New memories, more recent memories, flooded her mind this time. Of letters with no reply. Broken promises. Fear of the Grisha.

She lifted her eyes back to her old friend. Mal hadn’t moved from his spot. What was keeping him there Alina wondered. Shame of abandoning her? Fear of the Darkling and what he might do to those who approached his own Sun Summoner? Fear of her even?

Alina shook her head to clear her thoughts and turned back towards the ships to continue her journey. Mal had made his choice. He had abandoned her and now faced with her again made no move to approach who was supposed to be his dearest friend. Mal made his choice, now head held high Alina was making hers. Walking away from what she once knew and had lost faith in, and towards the man who had opened her world beyond what she could have imagined. Towards vengeance against or those who would stand in her way.