Chapter 10

After the remainder of the group had emerged from their tents, they wasted no time in breaking down camp. All too aware that they were deep in Fjerdan territory they moved quickly, only slowing to cover the evidence of their camp as best they could.

They left for the long return ride in the same manner as their ride there with one minor, but significant, difference. Alina and Aleksander now rode side by side, each staking their claim to the other. The ride was also easier for Alina. Without thinking, as the frigid air blew against her face and found its way through any folds in her many layers of clothing, she drew light and warmth around her body. With the additional strength granted to her from the Stag she barely needed to focus to keep herself warm.

After riding for a few hours, Alina grew comfortable enough in her warmth that she let her focus wander. Without all her energy being drained by trying to not freeze, she was able to take in the beauty of the forest around her. The crisp white snow was blanketing the ground, glistening in the sunlight and broken only by the footprints of birds and small animals who made their home in the undergrowth. The needles of the pine trees hung low under the weight of the snow, the occasional thump of snow hitting the ground as the sun melted it off the branches was the only sound that broke the silence beyond the footsteps and soft whinnies of the horses.

Alina’s spine went stiff and she yanked her horse to a halt. The horse threw its head back, unhappy with its rough handling. Aleksander’s horse continued forwards while the rest of the group behind her pulled abruptly to a stop so they wouldn’t run into her.

“Where are the birds?” Alina asked quietly, answering before the question could be asked. At the sound of her voice behind him, Aleksander turned his horse around and came to a stop looking back at the group quizzically. “This morning the air was filled with birdsong. Where have they gone?”

The group stilled their unsettled horses and tilted their heads to the sky to listen for the birdcall. They were met with a deafening silence. Alina was the first to lower her head, looking towards Aleksander for guidance, but her gaze caught on a shadow in the trees behind him. The shadows knew their time of secrecy was up and they burst from the trees by Aleksander, revealing themselves to be three Fjerdan hunters.

Alina was instantly brought back to her first memory of the Fjerdan. Her on the ground with a hunter looming above her. A dark figure approaching and throwing out his arms, sending an arc of darkness to save her. Out of instinct, Alina copied those movements, throwing out her arm in fear that Aleksander wouldn’t react in time to defend himself. A small arc of light left her hand, growing as it curved around Aleksander’s mount, widening to bridge the three hunters before slicing right through them. Ending their advance before it even had a chance to begin. They fell to the snow, but no red splattered on the ground as it had on that previous day. The light was white hot. Cauterising as it cut, it left the snow surrounding the bodies pristine. Alina looked at the fallen men for a few seconds in shock, her arm still outstretched, before she grabbed the pommel and twisted on her horse to empty the contents of her stomach on the forest floor.

Alina stared at the ground, spitting to get the taste of bile out of her mouth. The silence around her was only broken by the sound of wary breaths. Alina then heard someone dismounting from their horse and crunching through the snow towards her. An arm clad in black clothing holding a canteen slid into her vision.

“Here, rinse your mouth with this.” Aleksander’s voice was calm and low, as though he was worried any loud or sudden noises would spook Alina. She took the canteen from him and lifted it to her mouth, her arm shaking slightly.

After washing out her mouth, Alina managed a weak “Thanks” as she finally raised her gaze to Aleksander. She wasn’t sure what she was expecting to see in his face, but it certainly wasn’t the warmth and pride written across it.

“Ride with me.” Aleksander offered quietly, “What you did was quite advanced, I’m sure you’ll be drained for the rest of the day.” He paused and something softened in his eyes, “And remember, they were aiming to kill me. To kill us. I know taking your first life won’t be easy to deal with, but know it was necessary.”

Alina already felt her power moving beneath her skin, ready to be called upon if needed. However, the rest of her was not so ready, still frozen and not comprehending the lives she had just taken. She nodded slowly and let herself be led to Aleksander's horse and helped into the saddle. Aleksander pulled himself up behind her and Alina settled against his chest, the warmth from his body a reassuring presence.

As they continued on the journey, Alina replayed what happened in her mind over and over. She expected each time she saw those hunters die in her mind she would shrink further into herself. She was surprised that she didn’t. Each time Alina saw them she was reminded why she had been training; to defend herself, to not be weak any longer. She saw the anger in their eyes, anger which had been directed at her and those she cared about. She saw her power, so similar to the Darkling’s, which he’d claimed had taken decades to master. She saw her strength, resilience, and bravery.

That isn’t to say she was happy with her kill. She mourned the loss of life, but found she wasn’t driven to despair by it. She knew if the need arose, she would be able to take a life again and continue on unscathed.
Alina’s body relaxed with her mind, leaning further into Aleksander’s chest, feeling his muscles move against her back, his breath tickling the top of her ear. She no longer needed her power to stave off the cold when she had Aleksander to do it for her. She didn’t have to fight every battle alone.

When they reached the camp that evening, one less tent was set up than before. The group settled around the fire and resumed their usual banter over the smell of roasting rabbit. Simultaneously nothing had changed, but everything had.