Chapter 3

Sitting on the edge of her bed, reflecting on the evening that had passed, Alina lifted her hand to her check covering the echo of Aleksander’s touch.

We can do anything together.

The sound of his voice played through her mind, his softly spoken words and even softer touch. She had wanted more of his touch, of him, but soon after those words had been spoken they were interrupted by yet another knock on the door. A carriage had been stolen during the evening and it was suspected to have been taken by accomplices of the man who had attempted to kill her.

Upon hearing about this Kirigan took no chances, he walked Alina back to her room himself along with a couple of guards. He left them stationed by her door as he went to sweep the Little Palace and grounds to ensure there was no one else remaining, but not before assuring Alina, I won’t let anyone touch you. I promise. The look in his eyes made Alina forget about her own safety and fear for those who might still be on the grounds. She had a feeling that if anyone was found they would never be leaving again.

Alina had never approved of senseless death, had always believed in second chances, but knowing that Kirigan would kill to protect her stirred a feeling deep in her chest that she wasn't familiar with. Unsure if she liked that feeling she focused on the present. Looking around her room she wondered if any of the tunnels she had been in earlier came out in her walls. No point in having guards at the door if anyone could come in secretly.

She took a little solace in the fact that her room was free of the built in shelves present in Kirigan’s room that so easily hid the door. She also couldn’t see any breaks in the light decorative wallpaper which would be a giveaway of an entrance. Regardless she stood and ran her fingers along the full perimeter of the main room and the bathing chamber to see if she could find any gaps.

Past the desk she had sat at pouring her heart on to paper trying to reach Mal. Past her vanity where Genya and her had spent many mornings getting ready, becoming friends. Past the bed where she was always left heating stones, a luxury she would never have imagined would be hers. Past the bath where maids had insulted her Shu heritage.

Returning to her main chamber she sat on the edge of the bed she looked out over her room. No, she looked out over her home. It was not only filled with good memories, but what home was? She was finally where she belonged, where she was welcomed. Well, welcomed by those who mattered.

She allowed a small smile on to her face as she rose again and changed into her night dress. Slipping into the bed she savoured the luxury of the warmth and the feeling of home. She might not fully understand her place, but she may as well enjoy her time here. With those thoughts filling her mind she slowly fell to sleep, knowing tomorrow she would have to come to terms with Kirigan and what that meant for her and her future.

***

Alina awoke in the dark. Confused she brought a small ball of light to her hand. Usually she slept through to morning so she wanted to figure out what woke her. As the light slowly spread across the room she spotted a dark cloaked figure facing the entrance to her room, a few steps away from the door. Clearly interrupted on their exit.

“Aleksander?” She called out softly, “Is that you?” She saw the figure bow their head slightly before lifting it again as they turned to face her.

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you.” The low soft voice of Kirigan spoke as his features came into the light, “I just wanted to check on you and make sure that you were OK after the evening you have had.” A slight smile lifted one corner of his mouth, “Clearly I had no need to worry, sleeping as peacefully as you were.” As he'd been talking he had walked over to the bed, gesturing at the edge he asked, “May I?” Alina nodded her response, moving to sit leaning against the headboard remembering at the last second how little modesty the night dress provided and pulling the blankets around her chin. Kirigan swept his cloak out of the way and sat on the bed. Turning to face Alina, “You called me Aleksander.”