Christmas Complications (Clint Barton X Reader)

A/N: Credit to NovaValentine123 for this idea! I just sorta switched it up a bit.

****

The fat snowflakes falling gently from the sky land on the collar of your winter jacket, decorating the rest of the your piece of outerwear with the flakes as well, even wandering as far as to where your hand is grasped gently in someone else's.

This 'someone else' is the very person who when you'd met, you almost instantly fell head over heels for, though you never expected to have had the same feelings reciprocated.

He's a bit quiet at times, though he's loyal through and through.

He's got a keen eye for precision that came in handy with his rather messy past.

But all of these things make up the man you love - the very same man you're soon to be married to, after the holidays are over.

It had come at a surprise to you when none other than Clint Barton had proposed to you, in the middle of nowhere quite literally, on a recon mission you'd both been assigned to when you were still regulars with the Team.

And now, three months later, here you both somehow are, walking hand in hand through New York City with only a few days till Christmas to spare.

"Just in time for a well deserved getaway," Your fiancé had grinned after booking your accommodations, sitting on the couch back home one random Wednesday night last week.

He was right after all.

Leaving the Team - the family - you'd both been a part of for so long took some major effort, but it was for the best.

It was time to move on - even if just for a little while until the world needed saving yet again.

"It's almost like something out of a movie, huh?" You muse aloud as your boots crunch through the snow on the sidewalk, keeping in practiced sync with Clint's longer strides.

The man beside you nods with a small grin, his face illuminated by the Christmas lights hanging in a shop's window as you pass, the decorations in the windowstill making your heart warm.

"Sure is," He replies softly, passing a genuinely happy glance your way, to which you return.

"It was a good idea, walking instead of taking a cab. We get our exercise and we get to sightsee."

"You're only saying that because it was your idea. If I'd suggested it, that would've been a disaster," Clint chuckles, a cheeky grin tugging at his lips while you just roll your eyes and huff in protest, laughing along with him lightly.

"Sure, sure," You agree, fishing your phone from the pocket of your jacket and checking the GPS. "We're only a few blocks out."

"Blocks?" Your Partner groans, grumbling something you can't quite make out beneath his breath. "Let's pick up the pace then."

Passing your fiancé a knowing smile with a giggle and a shake of your head, you both indeed begin to pick up the pace, your cadences syncing and hitting heavy against the snow covered cement.

****

"The front desk staff sure seemed nice," You muse aloud as you walk through the rather elegantly detailed hallway leading to your accommodations.

"They did," Comes the reply from your Partner, who's somehow gotten ahead of you a bit, seemingly excited about all of this. "Or maybe it's just because it's so close to Christmas - can't risk upsetting people."

"Maybe," You hum as you both come to a halt outside the door to your room.

The previous lightheartedness between you both disappears instantly when your gazes lock, an unspoken agreement being said.