C'mon ('40s Bucky Barnes X Reader)

"You better not be going out with that Barnes lad again!" Your Father's angry voice echoes after you as you climb the stairs towards your bedroom, leaving him behind with a purposeful stride to your step. "I've seen him around town! He's a player!"

This comment makes you chuckle softly, causing you to come a halt in your tracks, turning back around to face the angered figure of your Father, sitting almost completely upright in his armchair.

"He was a player, Dad," You correct him with a smirk, crossing your arms across your chest. "But he's changed. In fact, we've had quite a few conversations of planning our future together."

A new sort of disgust falls across your Father's facial features as he makes a move to open his mouth to say something.

However, nothing comes out.

"I'm just warning you about lads like him, that's all," He huffs in defeat, raising the newspaper to cover his face.

"Lads like him," You mock with your own huff, turning on your heel and continuing up the stairs, only to be halted once more by your Father's now much more stern sounding tone yet again.

"I'd suggest staying in tonight. If you go anywhere, I'll find out about it."

Chuckling to yourself once more, you sigh, knowing the man who raised you well enough by now that he is most definitely not joking around.

But, you've already got plans that he isn't going to throw a wrench in.

"Okay," You call back in reply, your tone nonchalant as you nudge open the door to your bedroom with your foot before stepping inside, letting out a sigh of relief.

Your bedroom is pretty simple.

Small, straightforward and easy.

A small bed, a desk that doubles as a vanity and the best feature of your small living quarters - the window.

It's a nice big, rectangular window that gives a glorious breeze on a summer's day when opened.

It also is your usual primary method of sneaking out every night, accompanied by none other than James Buchanan Barnes himself.

The so called 'playboy' around town.

But, ever since he's been with you for almost a solid year and a half now, his flirtatious tendencies towards other women have lessened.

It's almost like he was becoming satisfied with just one lady.

And that lady in particular is you.

****

Darkness finally blotted out the sunshine and allowed the stars to appear, leaving you to mull over your various thoughts as you lay in bed.

Waiting, listening.

Either for Bucky's usual nimble footsteps in the grass below, or your Father's much heavier ones in the hallway, you can't decide.

So, you settle on both, worry beginning to shimmy it's way into the front of your mind.

Dad isn't going to catch me.

He never has.

And Bucky will show up.

He always does.

And, low and behold, the sound of familiar footsteps crunching against the damp grass beneath your bedroom window reaches your straining ears as you bolt to your feet and rush towards the window.

"Fancy meeting you here!" You shout down to him in a gentle whisper, his gaze already raised towards where you're leaning out the window, smiling down at him.

"You come here often?" James replies teasingly, the simple sound of his hushed tone making your heart swoon.

"Unfortunately, yes," You giggle, shuffling back into your room to slip into your shoes. "But I can't say I like it here."

"I think I'm getting that, yeah," The man watching you shimmy down the almost perfectly laid bricks of the side of your family's house for this type of scenario chuckles, gently taking your hand in his and helping you down once you're in reach.

"Where are we going tonight, Bucky?" You ask with another breathy giggle, his arms wrapping around you in a welcoming embrace.

As the pair of you step apart, he just grins, his steely blue eyes glimmering with excitement in the dim light coming from the window above you.

"C'mon," He urges, a spring to his step as he takes your hand in his again, practically pulling your surprised form along. "I've got somethin' to show ya."

With that, the both of you take off running down the empty streets of Brooklyn, the only thing lighting your way is the Moon shining in the sky above your two sprinting figures.

After laughing all the way and shoving each other playfully, you finally come to a halt outside the local park.

"You ever been to the top of that hill before?" Bucky inquires, panting slightly, his eyes turning to you with question, his finger pointing to the looming outline of a fairly large hill ahead.

"Not in the dark, no," You muse aloud, trying to catch your breath, your legs aching in slight protest.

"Well then what are we waiting for? Let's go!"

Again, you both begin sprinting towards your destination, finally reaching the top of the hill now completely out of breath.

"Remind me again what the purpose of all that running was?" You breathe out in between gasps for air, doubling over, hands on your knees.

"To get here faster," Bucky grins through the darkness, the same excitement from when he had first picked you up tonight filling his voice.

Wordlessly, you watch as your boyfriend laughs softly, passing a glance your way before taking your hand in his and dragging you down with him, situating both of your still heavily panting figures comfortably on the dewy grass.

Your gaze wanders the now completely exposed heavens surrounding you in all directions, brilliant little flecks of white, some orange, some more blue, some more red all dazzling your vision.

"You brought me all this way to stargaze?" You hum softly, turning onto your side to face Bucky, who's own gaze his transfixed upwards, the dim light from the Moon dancing across his handsome features, illuminating him perfectly.

"I did," He hums in response after a moment, bringing his gaze back down to you, a slight sadness shining within. "You don't like it?"

Smirking, you roll your eyes, leaning closer to him and planting a kiss to his cheek.

"I love it, Buck," You assure the man at your side, his hand instinctively entwining with yours.

"I'm glad," He laughs softly, bringing your hand to his lips and peppering kisses to your knuckles. "You had me worried there for a minute."

"Why worry? You treat me so well. Everything you do goes above and beyond anything I could ever imagine."

Hearing this, Bucky rolls onto his side, his oh so signature smirk tugging at his lips.

"I love you so damn much, Y/N. You know that, right?"

"I love you too, James. And yes," You giggle happily, glancing once more at his lips that are quickly nearing yours, his eyes shining with desire.

"I know that, too."