Chapter 23: My house of stone, your ivy grows

Start from the beginning

"I-- I have no special to go and this is my suit, okay?"

"Its a bit tight around the arms. "

Dammit.

"May, do you have literally no work today for you to be asking me all these questions? If you don't, I can happily give you more work."

"You are being weird. Something is weird here."

"May, nothing is weird here except you."

"You get a coffee delivered from some mystery person. You are suddenly wearing designer clothes, which you have told me yourself that you hate. You are busy every weekend I ask you to meet. You leave office on time and you hardly ever work overtime."

Oh my god, Tine Teepakorn, are you dating someone?"

"In your imagination, may be?"

"Does the person you are dating know you are so much of a workaholic that you would rather come to the office sick?"

"I am not sick, May and I have a meeting in..." I glanced at the clock on my laptop. "..10 minutes. So, I'd really like some time alone."

May sighed and got up. "Fine. But at least have some lunch before your meeting. Should I order something for you?

"No, it will take too much time. I'll have some later." May stared me down, waiting for me to change my answer. "I am fine, May. I'll see you later."

"I'll check up on you after the meeting... Oh by the way, I got a message from the reception desk. There was a visitor for Sarawat again."

I looked up hearing Sarawat's name. "The same person who came last week?"

"I am not sure? But he did ask for Mr Guntithanon when the reception staff told him Sarawat wasn't in office and they weren't allowed to give Sarawat's number to him."

"Did he leave a name?"

"No, he left right after they told him Sarawat wasn't here and Mr Guntithanon doesn't meet anyone without prior appointments. Should I email Sarawat about it?"

"Umm.. no, its okay. I'll let Sarawat know about it. Thanks for letting me know, May."

Finally, May left and when she closed the door, I picked up my phone to call Sarawat.

"Hello?"

"Hey you I just got to the lab, miss me already?"

"Thank you for the coffee."

"You're welcome and I am really sorry for rushing you this morning. I didnt know mom was going to suddenly show up."

"Wat, its okay." I coughed to clear my throat again. The AC was definitely cranked up today. "She was probably just worried."

"You feeling okay, Tine? You sound like you are coming down with something."

"I am fine." I took a big chug of coffee to clear my throat.

"Did you eat something? Ah, I feel so bad, I couldn't even make you anything for breakfast."

"We have breakfast together everyday, Wat. Its not—its not a big deal. You don't have to say sorry about that. How's Phukong?"

"He's okay. Pain medicines have kicked in, but he still needs proper rest. I-- actually, I don't think I'll be able to come home tonight. Mom wants me to stay home for a few days and help out Phukong, after office. The house staff can manage during the day but he'll need some help moving around in night. Would it be okay? I am really, really, really sorry."