Chapter 1: I am devil, Tine

Tine's POV

The phone finally rings in my office cabin and I pick it up like a reflex.

"HELLO? Mr Guntithanon?"

"Its our direct line, Tine. Why would Mr Gunthinanon call you on it?" It was May, my assistant, and no matter how much I needed her help every day, I really wished it wasn't her on the phone.

"Stop bothering me, May."

"Stop tapping your pen on the table. Its been half an hour and I can hear it from out here too."

"I am nervous, May. He hasn't called yet."

"He will. Your promotion is almost final, Tine. You will be going to Tokyo and I will be yelling at you for missing my wedding"

"I won't miss your wedding, May. I mean, even if I go, I can always come back for a few days. And your wedding is three months later. There's still time."

"Yes it is and I'll be posting your invite to Japan, addressed to Mr Tine Teepakorn, Marketing Head of National Brewaries, Tokyo branch."

"No May don't say it. You will jinx it."

"Wait, I am getting a call from Mr Guntithanon's secretary. May be they will ask you to come now"

/

/

/

15 minutes later, I was walking into Mr Guntithanon's cabin on the 20th floor of the building. In my four years of working in the company, it was only my third time going into Mr Guntithanon's office. Though it was my first time alone. I had only gone inside previously with other heads of the company to discuss strategies. But may be this was a good sign. May be I was finally getting that promotion.

"Tine! Please take a seat. How have you been?"

"I am good Sir. How are you?"

"I am great as well. How are our current campaigns performing right now? How are the numbers like?"

"Oh.. well." I did not think we would be discussing campaigns in the meeting, but I still went ahead and briefed him about all the currently running campaign for the next hour, in the best way that I could. By the end of it, he looked impressed and that was enough for me.

"Everything looks good Tine, I think we are right on track. I really like the vision you have taken with these campaigns."

"I am just trying my best Sir."

"You are more than trying. You are the best we have, Tine. Your marketing campaigns are the reason our beer became so popular among the young people."

"No sir, the beer is good. That's why it sells well"

"You don't have to be humble, Tine. Before you joined, our beer was mostly preferred by 40+ year old men, but the way you transformed the entire brand from the ground up — We would never be able to expand in Asia at such a fast pace without your vision."

"Sir, it was only possible because you put your trust in me, to be honest. You gave me the support I needed to turn that vision into reality. No one would ever trust a fresh MBA grad like me to lead a big company like this one.

"Because I trusted your vision, Tine and I trusted your passion. Now I need your help with one more thing Tine..."

Here it is. The final moment.

"I want you to help my son get settled in the company"

"Yes of course-- Wait what? Your son?"