Chapter 50

A weird sensation filled the woods air as it slowly went by in its daily routine. The morning was cold and dim, birds flew around the woods crying out in divine union.
Nevada slowly opened her eyes as the pounding sound in her head was so unbearable. With mixed emotion, her eyes scanned around the woods, her body rested on wet grass as her hair covered a part of her confused face.
Slowly, she attempted sitting up but a sharp pain ran across her waist, so sharp and fierce that it cut through her body violently. A scream emitted from her mouth which made the birds resting on the tree beside her fly away with fear.
Not knowing what happened and how she found herself half-naked in the woods, Nevada slowly caress her waist, her forehead squeezed in great pain.
She gazed around the woods, with the look of things, she knew that it was almost sunrise and she can't lay here any further. With strong overwhelming pain, she rested her hand on the tree beside her and closed her eyes in pain, her legs moved slowly as she stood up in great anguish. Nevada screamed again, the pain was too strong for her to bear, every part of her wanted to explode but she couldn't let that.

As minutes went by, Nevada gradually stood to her feet with a hand around her waist, she glanced at her side and noticed that her hair was as black as coal. Her hair was never black but brown, she couldn't understand what happened to her, all she could remember was escaping death and running away from the kingdom. Did she run into the woods on her way? How long has she been here? What happened to her?, All these questions ran through her mind with so much astonishment that they made her heart race so fast. She asserted that can't stay here any longer, her throat was dry and she needs something to drink.

Nevada looked down at her cloth, she wore a plain white dress that was stained with dirt and mud, a part of it was torn, ruined into pieces, it looked like she was attacked by a wild beast but there isn't a scar on her body. Gently she pulled her hair behind her, its color and length baffled her but it was the least of her concern right now, she has to find a way out of here and figure out what happened to her.
Without waiting anymore, she began to walk slowly towards a rough path in the woods, the pain around her waist made it very difficult for her but she won't let it hold her down but find a way out of this woods and out of any danger.
Slowly, the sun began to rise and it brought a sense of peace to her, with its light, she can find her way through the woods and probably see a river where she can quench her thirst.

Hours went by but the more Nevada walked, the more the path became tensed and difficult, her dry throat became so unbearable for her that she began to cough, a pain struck on her chest. Her eyes became weary and her cracked lips mumbled words of worry, her eyes scanning around the woods that were filled with nothing but trees. Several hours went by but still no sign of a house or a river, Nevada began to get weak as minutes passed, her eyes became so blurred, her legs ached with pain. Tears filled her eyes as her whole body felt like she was about to pass out, gently, her eyes began to close, her breathing slowed down as seconds passed by. Not able to hold onto the torture, Nevada fell to the ground, deep darkness overwhelmed her.

******************************
"She is waking up," a calm tender voice said cutting through Nevada as she opened her eyes which were filled with so many unspoken words. Standing beside her was an old woman with a tray of plates in her hands, her lips stretched in a smile as she glanced at Nevada with eyes filled with sympathy. Slowly, Nevada diverted her gaze to a young man who stood beside the woman, his hair, blonde and neatly brushed. He wore clothes made for royalties and at the sight of him, Nevada knew that this man is an important figure.

"Where am I?" Nevada whispered confused. She scanned around and noticed that she lay on a comfy bed, adorned with a royal mattress, the room where she lay was huge and richly decorated with so much splendor that it made her heart race thinking she was back at her former kingdom. A look of panic overwhelmed her as she turned to the people next to her, her lips vibrating inaudible words.

"Please don't kill me" she manages to say to their hearing, her eyes flickering around in fear.

The people around her gazed at her in a confused expression at her outburst.

"Please don't kill me, let me go and you will never see me again" Nevada begged, she tried sitting up but a huge pain held her, she closed her eyes and flung it open immediately, a tear tricked down her eyes, "Please let me go" she begged further, her eyes not leaving the man before her.

"She must be traumatized," the old woman said to the man who couldn't get his eyes off Nevada, his face written with nothing but concern.

The old woman slowly handed the tray to a young maid, calmly she walked towards Nevada with a smile on her face, her look so sensitive. The old woman sat beside Nevada who quickly moved back in fear, her eyes not leaving the woman.

"We are not here to harm you" the woman let out softly as she slowly placed her hand on Nevada's lap, "Our men found you lying deep in the woods, at first, they thought you were dead but when they discovered that you are still alive, they brought you down into our kingdom" she paused and glanced at the man who stood watching them, "Standing here is my son, King Philip and I am Queen Elizabeth of this kingdom. We can't kill you, we only helped you because a young beautiful lady like you shouldn't be seen alone in the woods" she explained with a smile.

"Now" her hand caressed Nevada's lap which was hidden under the mattress, "You need to rest and recover, food will be given to you soon" She announced with a pleasant smile on her face. With her eyes not leaving Nevada, she stood up and walked towards the door, her son followed behind.

Nevada watched them as they left, with a racing heart, she scanned around the room once more, a window stood nearby and a pleasant smell filled her nose. Suddenly, she felt at peace and gently laid her head on the bed, a few minutes later, she drifted to sleep.

Weeks passed by and Nevada slowly recovered, King Philip and his mother were so nice to her and as time went on, the king fell deeply in love with Nevada. After a year, they got married and King Philip treated her the best way a husband loves his wife. For once, Nevada never felt weak or lonely, King Philip was always there and showered her with the best love he can give, he took her on a ride around his beautiful kingdom, introduced her to the members of the royal family, the soldiers, and maidens.
Three years after their marriage, Queen Elizabeth fell seriously ill and after six months of taking care of her, she died peacefully. Her death was a great loss to the kingdom and everyone felt her death.
Years rolled by and Nevada was yet to give birth, she felt sad every day but King Philip was there to assure her that his love for her is worth more than anything and he will never stop loving her even if she doesn't give him a child. Philip's encouraging words kept Nevada throughout the years he was alive, and after 10 years, King Philip died and left the throne and possession of the kingdom into the hands of Nevada who became queen and ruled over the kingdom till this day.

******************************
Maria sat quietly, her eyes fixed on her mother who narrated everything with sadness in her eyes. She glanced at Filippo and noticed that he has the same sad look on his face, his eyes not leaving Nevada who glanced at them one after the other.

"Throughout these years, I never knew I had a child" Nevada spoke out with distress written all over her face, "I accepted my fate as a barren woman with no hope of producing a child but when I saw you, everything in me opened, it felt like I was brought out of darkness into a ravishing light that I cannot explain" she confessed with pure love written on her face.
Immediately, she turned to Filippo who stops firm with his sword in his hand. "The devil knows that you two wants to stop him, he knows that the curse he placed on me is broken and he will never take defeat from a mortal" Nevada asserted with firm seriousness on her face, her eyes filled with anger.

Slowly, she stood up, walked towards the window, a period of silence filled the room as a soft wind blew overwhelming them. Maria and Filippo stared at Nevada waiting for her to say a word. Minutes passed by with total silence, slowly, Nevada turned to them, her eyes held an expression Maria couldn't explain. Nevada glanced at Filippo and back at Maria, "You can get to the devil In only one way" she let out in a fierce tone, her eyes not leaving Maria.

Maria sat up, "Which way mother?" She implored curiously, her gaze not cutting through.

Nevada breathed deeply, she stared at Filippo and back at Maria, "Kill your sisters and get closer to the devil. You and your sisters bind the strength of your father and once they are out of your way, then your mission might become easy" Nevada announced with so much firmness that her words made Maria's eyes enlarged in nothing but great shock.