Epilogue - Part 7

Magsimula sa umpisa

After Iñigo's rather cheesy speech, we went out of the venue. I saw Anne once again and congratulated her, too.

"You should give her a loyalty award," Vito said.

"Shut up," I replied. If any, I actually admired her... yeah, loyalty. She's been consistent ever since our first year in law school. Come to think of it, I've never even heard anything about her dating anyone. Or maybe it's just because I wasn't that interested to actually listen when anybody's talking? But in all honesty, she didn't look too bad—and to be honest, had we met in different circumstances, I probably would've said yes. But we didn't. It's just not meant to be.

"What now?" I asked when we were standing before our car. We weren't officially lawyers yet, anyway. We still needed to sign the roll.

"Inom?" Sancho asked.

"Inom," Vito replied.

"Yes, please," I said before we all went to our respective cars and drove to some bar to get drunk.

* * *

"I just wanna hear her voice," I said as I got my phone, but Vito was quick to snatch it away from me. We've been here for a few hours. "Hey!" I said, frowning.

"You'll thank me tomorrow," he replied as he handed my phone to Sancho.

"My phone, please," I asked.

"No."

I groaned. "Come on," I said. "I won't bother her or anything..." I continued. "I just... I just want to hear her voice..."

They both did not say anything. I looked at them and saw pity on their faces. I didn't need that—not right now. I just really wanted to hear her voice... because it's been so long and I missed her so bad...

I stood up when I realized that there's no point with arguing with them. I got out to breathe. I looked around. I wanted to smoke... but instead, I saw some woman using her phone. I walked towards her.

"Hey," I said.

She looked at me. "H-hey," she replied.

"Can I borrow your phone?" I asked. "I just need to call someone," I added. She didn't reply and she just looked at me. "I'll pay you," I said and then realized that my things were inside with Vito and Sancho. I tried to look if I had anything in my pocket, but I had nothing. "Here," I said as I removed my watch. "It's relatively new," I continued as I tried to give her my watch so that she'll lend me her phone.

I wanted to hear Jersey's voice.

I needed to know that she's okay.

Because I couldn't go to her...

I shouldn't see her face.

Because I knew that once I do, I would just... give in. I would go back to her and forget why we couldn't work out in the first place. I would subject myself to that torture once again.

Why couldn't I just be happy?

Why was it easier to be sad?

"Thank you," I said when she handed me her phone. I tried to give her my watch, but she said that there's no need. I thanked her again as I took a few steps away from her to give myself some privacy.

I dialed her number from memory.

I heard my heart beating as I waited for her to pick up the phone.

"Hello," she said. "Hello," she repeated.

I knew I should've put the call on mute... but I wanted her to hear me breathe... I couldn't talk... I couldn't say anything to her... but I wanted her to know that I was here...