Chapter Twenty-Four: Pompom Waving Love Child

Start from the beginning

“What happened to you?” he questioned, sitting down on the chair next to his wife, “You look like you didn’t get a blink of sleep.”

“I didn’t,” I stated, trying to be nonchalant, but in fact, I was holding back a yawn so they wouldn’t press on more.

He shook his head as he settled a hand on top of my head, “You need to rest, don’t get so worried about one guy.”

Celeste laughed next to him and shook her head, “If a girl really likes that one guy, she’ll always worry,” she said, forking in some pancakes into her mouth, “And sometimes, that includes losing sleep.”

“Amen,” mom nodded from the other side of her table. My dad turned to her and she gave him a sheepish smile.

“I’m just worried about my little sister,” Drew protested, crossing his arms like a child, making the others laugh.

Celeste looked up at me and offered an encouraging smile, “It’s part of the learning experience.”

If I wasn’t upset enough, I stood there in front of the van that will drive my brother and my sister-in-law to the airport. They’re going to be gone again for a very long time, which is a bigger bad news than everything.

Drew packed the bags at the trunk while Celeste approached me and pulled me into a tight hug, “I’ll miss you.”

“What am I going to do?”

She laughed at this, probably finding this amusing, but for me, it was absolute torture, “Just so you know, everything will fall into place, just trust yourself and Jasper.”

I looked at her skeptically and she turned to back at Drew, before speaking, “I’m married to your brother, he’s my complete opposite and if we were able to stay together after all the crap we’ve been through, then I have confidence you and Jasper will too.”

I still question how Drew managed to get her. She’s prim and proper, on the other hand, my brother is the idiot who accidentally opened one of the bags while loading it, causing most of its contents to fall to the pavement.

Rolling my eyes, I walked over to him and helped him pick up the stray clothes. He stuffed them all back into the bag and closed the trunk, wiping the beads of sweat that was forming on his forehead.

“You’re leaving me again?” I asked, my voice small like a little child getting abandoned by her parents.

Drew laughed and shook his head, “I’ll be back, who else is going to pull you out of trouble?”

“I think I’m old enough to do that myself,” I retorted.

“To me, you’re still that annoying kid who jumps on my bed to wake me up every damn morning.”

For the first time all day, I smiled. He lifted a hand and I have him a high five, before I jumped into his arms, surprising him. His shoulders shook to indicate he was laughing once again, before returning the hug, “Finish your story with a good ending, baby sister.”

“Of course,” I fist bumped him, “We siblings need to have our happy ending.”

It was far from a tearful goodbye, mostly because I knew that I would be seeing them again. I waved at them as their van slowly drove away.

My eyes looked up to the house next door and they instantly connected to Jasper’s. He nodded a hello to me, and I gave him a soft smile back. He gestured for me to wait for him to go outside, but I shook my head, pointing back to my house to indicate that I needed to go back inside.

I opened my laptop and once again, went to the page where my application was ready to be sent. It just takes on press of the button and everything’s done.