56 Brains vs Brawn: Best of Both Worlds

Start from the beginning

"You heard her, Tyrogue," Terri responded. "Let's do this."

"You ready to go, Primeape? Kadabra?"

"You, too, Hitmonchan. Show 'em what you got," said Kyle.

"Hitmonlee, please, do your best," said Master Koichi.

"You as well, Machamp," said Master Junichi.

The two Pokémon bowed their heads.

"Raichu, you get in there!"

Everyone gave me weird looks.

"Do you not have a Fighting-type, Rosa?" asked Kyle.

"Nah. Raichu knows Brick Break, which is a Fighting-type move, but that's all. But regardless, we're not a slouch, and we don't plan to go easy. Hear that, Sabrina?"

She smirked. "The more the merrier! Send in Luxray while you're at it!"

"Will do!"

Everyone got into position.

"You ready Sabrina?" called Master Junichi.

"You bet! Give us your best shot, everyone!" Alakazam levitated in the air, eyes closed, two spoons out in front of him.

"Battle, begin!"

"Hitmonchan! Mach Punch!"

The attack landed. Alakazam resisted the hit, however, and remained in the air. "No surprise you started with a priority move, but you're gonna have to do better. Psybeam!" Even without opening his eyes, the Psi Pokémon attempted to deal some damage, but Hitmonchan easily slipped out of firing range.

"Nice try! Let's go for a second hit! Mach Punch again!"

"Reflect!"

Hitmonchan's fist crashed into a wall of light.

"Wow! Alakazam works fast!" I gasped.

"Psybeam!" Surprised at being stopped so fast, Hitmonchan failed to dodge Alakazam's second Psybeam attempt. He received the super-effective attack at point-blank range and smashed into the wall behind us.

"Oh, man," cried Paul as Hitmonchan fell to the floor, "that's some power."

"Sure is." When I looked back at Sabrina, her expression told me that she had many more tricks up her sleeve. It excited me. "Of course, being a gym leader, I didn't expect Sabrina to be too easy to beat."

"That doesn't mean we can't win with a decent strategy. Primeape use Night Slash!"

Primeape attacked with a Night Slash, but Alakazam's Reflect halved the damage.

"Damn. Reflect is going to make things tricky."

"So, let's try multiple attacks at the same time. Machamp use Karate Chop!"

"Tyrogue use Tackle!"

Both Tyrogue and Machamp charged at their opponent.

"Shadow Ball on the entire room!" Alakazam used Shadow Ball—and shot at all eight opponents simultaneously! Anyone who had already attempted to attack Alakazam took a powerful hit to the face: Machamp, Tyrogue, Primeape, and Hitmonchan.

The others dodged.

"Apparently, it can handle being outnumbered. This'll be tough if we don't stop it right now. Double Thunder, go!" Crackles filled the room as my two Electric-types launched their attack.

"Focus Blast, Alakazam!" Eyes snapping open, Alakazam dropped his feet onto the ground, pulled back his arm, and sent a vicious ball of energy hurtling across the room. The attack tore through Thunder, and through the gym floor.