Life Goes On

October 12 Jo's phone crashed to the floor the screen cracking and freezing with the picture of the twin's ultrasound. 

Lizzie was sitting on the couch in the compass estate home when her phone started ringing (504)988-5263. "Hello?"

"Is this Elizabeth Olsen?"

"This is she,"

"Hello, I'm calling from Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans Louisiana please hold," Lizzie's heart raced as the cheap elevator music filled her ears.

"Hello, Mrs. Olsen this is Mitch Osborne your wife doctor."

"Yes, how is she!?"

"Ma'am, can you sit down for me?"

"I'm sitting."

"Mrs. Olsen your wife has taken a rapid decline and we have moved her onto a ventilator.."

Lizzie gasped "Oh god," 

Lillian came rushing over sitting beside Lizzie, Lizzie quickly pulled away putting the phone onto speaker

"She is resting now," Dr. Osborne said

"Uhm, okay" Lizzie squeezed her temples "Wha-what do I need to do?"

"There is nothing you can do here, Jo told us you are staying in Georgia right?"

"Yes, I am."

"I recommend you stay there. I'll give you a special number that you can call day or night to get an update and facetime your wife."

"Oh, okay thank you."

"Do you have a pen?"

Lillian pulled out her phone writing a text to Lizzie. Lizzie said "Yeah."

"Okay, the number is (***)***-****."

"Okay, am I good to call my number now?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Okay thank you."

"I will call you with an update in a few hours. Have a good day Mrs. Olsen."

As soon as the phone was hung up Lizzie typed in the number Lillian had written down. Before she hit the call button Lillian rested her hand on Lizzie's arm "Are you sure you want to see her like that?"

Lizzie took a pause letting herself weigh what those words really meant. Lizzie nodded saying "I have to see her."

Lillian nodded as Lizzie hit call and a woman answered "Hello?"

"Hello, I am-"

"I know who you are Mrs. Olsen," she smiled "Give me just one second, and I will set the tablet up on the table in front of her. I do have to warn you, Mrs. Olsen, it can be disturbing the first time you see a loved one on a ventilator but I need to make one thing clear to you. She is okay, she's doing well with it, her body isn't fighting it, just the disease."