"Oh dear," Exaggerated the waitress. "I'm sorry to hear that. Is it family trouble?"

Greta snuck a glance to Malik. And immediately, Malik understood. "Y- yes. Her family is very old-fashioned." 

"They are," Nodded Greta, who quickly held up her engagement hand

"They are," Nodded Greta, who quickly held up her engagement hand. "He's my rock, y'know? Or more like, my Barack! But my poor parents didn't understand. They kicked me out." 

"On Christmas Eve?!"

"Yes, Ma'am. On tonight of all nights!" Malik responded. "And now they'll never know that my little snow bunny here is carrying our own little miracle baby." 

They witness the flurry of colors spring onto the waitress's face as she balanced joy with sympathy at the two occupants. "Bless your hearts! Well, you know, you two are doing a very brave thing here. So progressive. And since it's the spirit of giving, I'll throw in a little discount for the soon-to-be baby mama, how's that sound?" 

"OH! You hear that my black Han Solo? There's still good to be had in these crazy times!"

Quickly, the waitress wandered off. And as soon as they gathered she was no longer in hearing range, a collective burst of snickers-turned-roaring laughs erupted from the two sitting across from one another until their bodies were dizzy with heat and exasperation. "The fuck I told you about that Obama shit?" 

"I didn't believe you! Oh my God, is that what we were getting ourselves into? I swear, I think I just missed out!" 

And with his chuckling, Malik sat back and agreed. "Yeah, guess we both did." 

Greta caught that then. Her eyes loomed over his as she pondered on the very things that got them to this situation in the first place. "Is your girlfriend okay with you and me seeing each other?" 

Again, he shook his head. "Actually, we sorta took a break." 

"Really?" 

"Yeah, we... I dunno, we just figured that we give ourselves some time to figure out what we want. Whether that's closure or..." But he stopped there, though, Greta didn't need any more context clues to figure out just what potential this visit could hold. 

It made her think back on things again. She had to remember that after this, she'd go home alone again. That there would be no one to help her realize things any clearer than right now. 

And right now, she was stumbling on the possibility that maybe she was making a mistake. 

Here he was. Just like this morning. Just like at the theater. Just like all the other times, she needed someone. In truth, Greta realized that she needed him in this life. 

It made her look down at the ring that she was so eager to use as a prop in their humorous lies. Taking a hold of it, she very easily slipped it from her ring finger, then stuffed it into her pocket. And as she focused back on him, she wondered another thing. "Did I lose you?"