15. diversity quota

Start from the beginning

"Right, well, that was the old 'intern' Miles. You should see him now, he's hella mature. The plan was for him to get his residency at the hospital in Seattle so he could be closer to help raise the baby. But now, he's in private practice so he'll be living with us. This means Cora's gonna need a place to stay, same with Marcus. And if you still got that room available in your loft."

"No thanks!" Hurried out, Greta. "She left, she can stay gone. I'm not really interested in sharing that place with a whole other couple while I'm trying to fix my own shit with Julien." 

"How are you two by the way?" 

And just like that, the stress she tried to allude herself from, tightened its clutches on her once again. 

"We're okay," She shrugged out.

There was never really any simple way of describing just how things were with Julien. Still, the satisfaction felt out of reach. She wasn't happy, and she didn't know if he was either. Since their fight last weekend, they were seeing each other less and less. 

She wanted to believe that it was just their schedules. Maybe she was too tired to be with him after work. Maybe he was too busy with his own thing to make time for her. 

But then, there were the small fragments she couldn't help but notice in the way he looked at her. It wasn't the same as it would've been a year ago, or even two. 

His eyes felt like a stranger's eyes. His words didn't carry the same weight they once did. But she had to be optimistic enough. There was no way of believing that this was the best they could do. They were different people now, their relationship had new layers that it didn't have before. 

"You guys are still coming to the wedding, right?" She soon asked Lulu, never truly sure of her stance on Julien. 

"I dunno." The already-married companion muttered back. "Are you still coming to the wedding?" 

"The hell is that supposed to mean?"

Lulu shrugged. But that wasn't enough for Greta. 

"Luna Rose Chase, spit it the fuck out!" 

"I just kinda agree with Malik on this one!" She sighed. "I mean c'mon... You guys got a lot of baggage. And I get it if my sister were in an open relationship. Or if Dana does, or Chelsea or even Lindsay for that matter. But girls like me, you and Cora, we don't wanna settle for that shit. And let's not forget, there was a time just a few weeks ago where you were eager to still maintain some kind of relationship with Malik while you gave Julien the best hall pass ever." 

"Fuck you, alright? It's a compromise

"Fuck you, alright? It's a compromise."

"That's not a compromise." 

"What are you talking about?"

"When Kelly and I were coming to the end to our polygamy, we both made agreements to  slowly close that door." Lulu explained as she scooped what was left of her icy treat in the cup.