Chapter 18 - I'm So Sorry

Start from the beginning

"Just kidding. It was a joke."

"That wasn't very nice." I told him. After a moment Ritsu calms down a bit.

"So why the sudden visit?"

"Well, I hear that most of the zodiac members already met Tohru-san, not to mention I've met everyone of the zodiac but Ami-san. So I thought it would be rude not to properly introduce myself." Ritsu explains before bowing to Tohru and I. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Ritsu Sohma. You met my mother before."

"Please, to meet you, too. I'm Tohru Honda."

"And I'm Ami Sato."

"Oh, it's not much so I brought this." Ritsu says

"Is it a gift?"

"Yes, I considered getting fruit, but I didn't know what you liked, so I got books on fruit instead." Ritsu explains putting the books that were dropped earlier on the table. It was silent. "Wh-What? Oh, I'm sorry, is it a bad gift? Have I caused you trouble?"

"No, not at all." Shigure says, his tone sounding angry. Ritsu panics and tries to run out again.

"I'm sorry! I'll go buy some fruit!" Ritsu yells but is stopped when Shigure grabs the edge of the kimono again.

"I'm just kidding."

"I knew it, I shouldn't have come!" Ritsu cries, before face planting on the table and crying.

"Don't say that." Shigure says, looking through one of the books.

"I actually find this helpful. You never know when you might need books on fruit." I told her.

"Yes, and I really wanted to meet you, Ritsu-chan. So the fact that you came to visit makes me truly happy." Tohru adds.

"Thank you very much." Ritsu says, lifting her head off the table.

"I see you still take after your mother, the way you panic so easily. You'll become a working adult soon, you know." Shigure mentions.

"Yes, I'm sorry..."

"Don't you also feel like you should toughen up?" Shigure wonders.

"Y-yes of course! I want to have more confidence in myself. And one day, I hope to be overflowing with confidence, like Aya-niisan" Ritsu explains.

"Ah that's impossible ." Shigure replies bluntly.

"Why? Is it an unreachable dream?"

"Aya's self-confidence is far beyond human levels." Shigure explains.

"I-I see..." Ritsu says, looking at the floor.

"Anyway, you apologize too quickly, Ritchan."

"Sorry."

"See, you did it again!" Shigure yells pointing his fan at Ritsu's face. "Let's do this: As a first step to a better you, you are now banned from reflectively apologizing."

"Can you even do that?" I wonder.

"Tohru-kun, you'll cheer Ritchan on, right?"

"Huh? Oh yes!"

"I will take on the challenge!" Ritsu says.

"I'm home!" Yuki calls out.

"Oh, Yuki-kun came home at the perfect time. Ritchan, time for your first test." Shigure says.

"But I need to prepare myself emotionally..."

"Ritchan-san, you can do it!" Tohru encourages. Yuki then proceeds to walk in the door.