You glanced worriedly up the stairs and back out the window near the office space that leads to the backyard. Light was spreading around the backyard among shouts. Your breathing sped up and you couldn't help but yell Sam's name. Avery hopped off the couch and finally rushed to the back area. You followed her.

Orange and red flames caught the back patio. It was long before it traveled through the walls into the office. You backed away quickly as it was spreading at a rapid pace. You yelled for someone- anyone. Avery was gripping you and you kept yelling. The heat was unbearable, seeping through your skin and invading your lungs.

"Mom!" you screamed, "Dad! Sam!"

Avery was saying something. You couldn't focus. The flames were everywhere. The staircase was on fire. You had a two story house, if someone attempted the jump they would die. You tear your pant leg and wrap the fabric around your arm to prevent any more smoke from invading your lungs.

"Samantha! Mom!" you cried. You turned to Avery with tears streaming down your cheeks. "Where are they!"

Avery shook her head rapidly, fear plastered all over face and body. She was halting rapidly. "We have to go, NOW!"

You shook your head, "No! They are still up there, we can't leave them!"

"We don't have a choice!" she yelled back.  A flame bursts as it catches the oven and entire kitchen. If you didn't leave now there would be no way out.

Faint screaming could be heard from up the stairs. Sam was screaming for help. Avery pulls you towards the door and you practically fall onto the grass coughing. You hurry off the ground and run to the side of the house by Sam's room window. The side of the house was red and filled with fire.

You could see her silhouette, shaking, screaming.

You scream so loudly that your own ears block out the sound of pain.

She's trying to get the window open.

She's screaming for mom.

Sam's hands are stuck.

The flames are chasing her.

They engulf her.

She screams again as she burns.

Your body jerks awake, sweat covering a slick layer over your skin and the heat of the room almost felt like that night. The moon was peaking through the curtains and Hotch was snoring softly in the bed next to you. White sheets wrapped around your body and suddenly became sticky on your skin. Tears pooled softly out of your eyes as you shook in bed.

Nightmares weren't very often anymore but when they did happen- it felt like the world was crumbling around you even if you were awake. For some reason, the events of that night always change. Sometimes you remember Sam talking to Emmet other times you remember her saying she needed to use the restroom.

That is how you always learned about trauma, at least that's why you have heard from the team. The human brain can't remember events of severe trauma because it wants to protect you from yourself. Perhaps that is a good thing- maybe it's not- but you can't fathom the thoughts of your sister. What happened to your mother after you went outside is unknown, you never heard a scream.

"Y/N?" his voice rumpled throughout the room in a dead wave of comfort. You jumped out of bed in shock and placed a hand over your beating heart.

"Don't scare me like that Hotch!" you whisper yelled. There were stains on your cheeks from the now dried tears. You learned to compose yourself quickly because you always did it as a child and with Axel. There was never a moment of true happiness. Maybe Hotch was right.