Will

It's been a week since I enlisted into the British Navy. It didn't come as a surprise after all that's all my dear parents wanted me to do with my life. It is year 1777, a year after the Americans had written the Declaration of Independence. Being only eighteen I was a new recruit but I have studied the skill of swords, muskets hand to hand combat for five long years. I have yet to see battle or any resistance by our foolish enemies.
"I spot wreckage carrying a young man!"
I jump up energized for a bit of action. I rush to the edge of the ship and look down to see a figure on a slab of wood.
"Help!" the figure yells.
We pull the rope and raise the man up to the level we stand on. We pull him over the edge and we help him over to a crate to rest.
"Thank you," he replys breathlessly.
"My pleasure," we say in unison.
I sit next to him. Everyone else returns to their duties.
"Your turn Will, for orientation."
I sigh.
The man looked about my age and was wearing captain's clothes.
"So, were you a captain of your last ship?" I ask.
"Oh, yes. Captain Stillwell," he places his hand near mine.
"Pleasure to meet you, I'm Lieutenant Will Cross," I take it and we shake.
"So, do you have a special girl back home?"
"No," I chuckle, "but I have been considered handsome back home. What about you? May I ask?"
"No. I want to be free and alone. Free to make my own choices," he says.
"Ah. I see," I comment. I look down and then notice his accent doesn't appear quite right, "You don't sound British," I say suspiciously.
"Oh yes, I've spent time in America for map study."
"Interesting," I place my hand on my pistol for precaution, "You know British soldiers usually wear red uniforms. You're wearing blue."
He furrows his eyebrows knowing I suspect him of being an American. The wind rips through the deck and while still looking at Stillwell the I see a dark lock of curly hair whip out of his hat. I step back.
"You're a lass. An American lass!" I yell.
She flips off her hat and chuckles then bows.
"Indeed."
I pull out my gun and point it at her skull.
"I ought to shoot you right now," I say shakily.
"Ah, but you won't," she smirks.
"What possibly makes you question my actions?"
"You're a new recruit."
"How do you know that?"
"You look about eighteen, my years,"
"So?" I question.
"You're still a boy, you won't take another's life."
I raise my eyebrows and ponder, she is correct.
"We shall meet again, Will."
She flips backwards off the ship.