11 | The MacKenzie

Start from the beginning

Mrs Fitz had decided to tie my tresses back with blush-coloured ribbons. She then asked me to stand and twirl so that she could get one last look at me. Mrs Fitz beamed with satisfaction. "Weel now, that's verra gude. Verra gude indeed. Ye've time for a wee bite and then I must take you to himself."

"Himself?" I asked. I wasn't familiar with anyone calling someone himself unless the person had already been alluded to.

"Why, the MacKenzie to be sure. Whoever else?"

Whoever else indeed! This MacKenzie was likely the leader. If I recalled correctly from that book Lottie had me read, he was called the clan chieftain. I wasn't sure I had met this clan chieftain. I just hoped it wasn't Dougal. He seemed very apprehensive and wary of me. Then again, I didn't like him much better.

Mrs. Fitz was ready with bannocks and parritch. I was tempted not to eat, but maybe I wouldn't feel quite so nervous with a bit more than broth in my stomach. Besides, I could always feign ill and vomit if I needed a hasty exit. Although, that was a last resort should things not go well. Like I had been with Jamie so far, I was going to be as honest as I could. But I must be careful not to reveal that I had come from 200 years in the future. They might think I'm a witch and that was the last thing I needed, especially in this time, since it meant almost certain death.

Himself, also known as the laird of Leoch, received me in a room at the top of a flight of stone steps. I remembered climbing these very stairs a few days ago and they definitely weren't in as good of condition as they were now. It was such a contrast from the Leoch in my head to see rich tapestries and paintings hung about the tower room whose walls were crumbling the last time I had seen them. Part of me wished Lottie could see Leoch like this. She would have loved it.

"Word around Leoch is right. Ye are a wee thing," a deep pleasant voice spoke from behind me.

I held my tongue, knowing that it would be of no use to argue with the man about my stature. Especially considering he was a man who controlled what happened to me - whether I would be a welcome guest or considered an English spy. Keeping my composure I turned and faced the laird of Leoch with a soft, yet forced, smile on my face before I bowed my head toward him as a sign of respect. I had no idea if that's what I was supposed to be doing or not, but I'd rather play things on the safe side.

I tried my hardest to keep my eyes focused on his face and not glance downward at his legs, but given the state of his severely bowed and stumpy legs, it was quite difficult. I did not doubt that his condition was quite painful and quite likely why he hadn't been travelling with the group of men I had joined. He was likely accustomed to people staring at his legs, so I tried my best not to let my eyes wander too much.

"I welcome ye, mistress," he said with a slight bow. "My name is Colum ban Campbell MacKenzie, laird of this castle. I understand from my brother that he, er, encountered ye some distance from here."

I eyed him slightly, spotting what I hoped was a familial resemblance. Twas the eyes that gave it away. Although, despite being chieftain, they didn't seem quite so menacing as the man I assumed to be his brother. "Dougal, I presume?"

"Aye."

I exhaled a bit of air, thankful that I had guessed correctly.

"As far as what he told you, that statement is correct," I responded, absently reaching for my necklace with my right hand. "I came upon him after what I believe was a raid by your men. Although, his acquaintance wasn't the first I had of that party of men. Jamie rescued me from Captain Randall when I believe he was supposed to be stealing a cow."

Again, a hint of a smile threatened to play across Colum's face, but he managed to keep his face almost emotionless. But his eyes told me that he had heard that bit of my story already and was amused by it. Perhaps if I kept things light and non-confrontational, I could prove myself - not that I quite understood what it was I had to prove. Although, I couldn't help but muse that women always seemed to have to prove themselves to a man, even in my time.