6 - 𝘝𝘢𝘮𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘢

The next week on the Elizabetha is simple: don't interact with any of the Dracas and don't speak to anyone about the fact that a member of my clan is being really suspicious. Simple, right?

I feel so trapped being on this ship. Metaphorically and literally.

I wake up in the morning, ready to start another set-in-stone routine day. I open up my coffin to see all of the heirs getting ready - it seems I'm the last one up. Shadows are rushing around, either helping the heir from their clan or doing chores.

I spot my brother stood nearby his coffin. "Ciao Luciano" I say, giving him a hug. "Did you sleep well?". He nods whilst raking his hands through his hair and whispers, "Although Joanne thinks I might've slept too well because of my hair..." I look at his hair, all messy and spiking up every which way. "Yeah you should probably consider brushing it" I laugh.

Suddenly, Father and Baron Magnus enter the dressing room. Father looks panicked and stressed whereas Baron Magus just looks angry... as always.

Baron Magus requests everyone's attention, including the shadows, causing a silence to fall across the room. Father steps forward and announces, "Heirs, Shadows, there has been a change to today's plans. We will be travelling to Hamburg in Germany".

"For a little holiday?" snorts Fanny. Father chuckles but looks to the floor in annoyance. "Not exactly. The Vamalia clan have contacted us and need our help. We have to leave urgently."

Commotion quickly fills the dressing room as everyone starts questioning what's going on.

Father and Baron Magus ignore the pleading questions and continue to assign jobs to the shadows. However, as Father leaves the room, he turns back, grinning and adds, "Oh, and school is cancelled for today".

Everyone cheers.

"So we can do nothing all day!" says Luciano in delight, causing us all to laugh. "You still have to brush your hair though" I add, handing him a hairbrush.

I walk over to Malcolm who's sat on a bench, tying his shoelaces. "So, what do you think about that?". "I don't know" he replies, looking up at me and shrugging. "It just seems like they're using us. I mean, they never actually wanted to join our clans but now that they're in trouble they suddenly want our help"

I nod in agreement; he makes a fair point.

-

After a very long day of travelling, we arrive in Germany.

The elders go onto the deck of the ship where they wait to greet the Vamalia clan and us heirs are given strict orders to stay in the dining room together.

However, when we can hear the Vamalia clan on the deck and muffled conversations from the elders who greet them, everyone leaves the room to crowd around the bottom of the stairs to try and look at them without being caught by the elders.

I can see an older lady who is dressed head to toe in black lace. She is stood next to a young boy who looks to be around Luciano's age. I can also hear the voices of a girl and a man who I'm guessing are other clan members.

"Apparently those four are the only vampires left in the whole clan" Fanny mutters to us. We all nod in acknowledgement, not taking our eyes off the deck. "I heard that the parents of the two children up there walked into the sun together" Malcolm adds. "Yeah that's what my father always told me" Lars comments.

It seems that the only time when us heirs get along is when we're all judging someone else.

The conversation on deck comes to a halt as Father begins to lead the Vamalia clan down the stairs. "Quick, they're coming!" Inger shout-whispers and we all run to the dining room as silently as possible, trying to contain our laughs.

-

We all sit patiently in the dining room waiting, muffled conversations filling the air. After some time, Father enters the dining room with the older lady who he introduces to us as Dame Emilina, the head of the Vamalia clan.

Behind her is a girl with long brown hair and a nervous smile. She's looking around the ship mesmerised. I can't lie, I felt a very similar way when I joined too.

"This is my granddaughter Alisa" announces Dame Emilina. "Her brother Tammo is here too but he's gone to sleep; it's been a busy day travelling you see". Father chuckles and Dame Emilina turns to Alisa and says "You can stay here and become acquainted with your new friends, I need to have a meeting with the elders". Alisa nods and gives her a faint smile.

Father and Dame Emilina leave the room and the door shuts with a loud thud. Everyone turns to stare at Alisa. Finally, Fanny breaks the silence with a question.

"So why are you really here?".

Alisa shifts her feet awkwardly and mutters "Pardon?".

The Dracas respond by throwing back their heads with laughter and I can see her holding in tears. "Pardon?" Inger imitates whilst pulling a face. Maybe she's not as nice as I thought she was.

I know that people have grudges against the Vamalia clan, but my mother always seemed very fond of them, and I trust her.

"Alisa, come sit with us" I beckon and her face floods with relief. She sits in front of me and Malcolm and whispers a thank you.

"I'm Maria di Nosferas by the way" I tell her. "The boy over there with messy hair is my brother Luciano". She laughs and gives him a small wave.

I turn to Malcolm and give him a nudge. "Oh yeah, uhm hi I'm Malcolm" he says awkwardly. "I'm from the Vyrad clan"

"And are you two..." her eyes flick between each of us.
"Oh, no" we reply in sync, laughing.
"Just friends" I say.
"Best friends" Malcolm adds, winking, causing me to roll my eyes.

----------------------------------------------------

heyy hope you guys enjoyed this chapter <3
it's so bad that i already want to rewrite most of the previous chapters lmao. i think when i've finished this story i'll probably do that haha