1 - 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘌𝘭𝘪𝘻𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘢

"Dad do we have to go?" whines Luciano.

"Yes" my father replies sternly. "Now pack your things quickly you two, the carriage will be here soon." He walks out of the room silently, leaving me and Luciano alone to get our things together.

I lie on my bed, dreading having to pack all of my things. I seriously don't understand what's so important that we have to leave our home this early in the night. My parents and the shadows seem so on-edge at the moment though.

A few hours ago Father explained that we're joining other clans on the Elizabetha but she refused to tell us anything else. I really don't know how to feel about meeting other vampires who are not from Nosferas - they're supposed to be our enemies.

Luciano brings me out of my thoughts by asking "Maria... where do you think we're going?"

"How many times do I have to tell you? I know as much as you do." I snap. That's a lie. Mother told me alone (so as to not scare Luciano) that this is really serious. She has no idea when we'll be able to come home.

I notice tears brimming in my brother's eyes and I instantly feel awful. I bring him into a hug and stroke his head slowly. "Sorry Luciano I didn't mean to be so harsh to you, I'm just really worried you see". He sniffs and buries his head closer into me as he mumbles, "Me too".

-

Slowly, I walk down the stairs, my fingers tracing along the banister. I try my hardest to take in everything around me. The grand chandelier hanging over the hallway, the painting of my family by the door and the wall where my parents would mark mine and Luciano's height. This is our home, and I'm scared about leaving it until the unforeseeable future.

By the bottom of the stairs is our shadow Raphaela. She's been with our family for decades and she's like a second mother to me. I don't know what I'd do without her. "Let me take that bag for you Maria" she insists. I smile and thank her.

Outside there's a carriage waiting for us and I can already see Mother and Luciano sat in it. My Father is stood by the carriage having a conversation with Signor Umberto - a first generation member of my clan.

"Raphaela, why's he coming with us?" I ask. She glances over to see him and sighs. "He's going to be a teacher to the Heirs whilst you're on the Elizabetha." She pauses, looks around to make sure there's no one nearby and then hesitantly whispers, "Don't tell your parents Maria, but I don't trust him."

-

To say that the carriage ride was awkward is an understatement. We sit in complete silence, minus a few remarks from Luciano who's trying to lighten the mood.

I'm sat next to Mother, with the window at my other side. I stare out of it most of time, my heart racing. I attempt to calm myself down by counting the other carriages we pass but it doesn't work. Mother strokes my hand and gives me a reassuring smile.

I look over to Signor Umberto who's sat next to Father. He's looking down at his hands and muttering to himself. I can understand why Raphaela says not to trust him. Suddenly the carriage driver knocks on the door. We've arrived.

-

The Elizabetha is much larger than I expected. It has pure white sails that drape down, meeting the wooden deck. A tall, stern looking man walks off the ship to greet us. "Claudio, Viola, I'm glad you could make it".

"As are we" Father answers. "We've brought our shadow Raphaela, Signor Umberto and our two children". The man frowns and looks over to me and Luciano. He takes a step towards us and says in an assertive tone, "I expect you both to be civil with all heirs and elders on this ship. Poor behaviour will in no way be tolerated".

I glare at him and roll my eyes as soon as he turns away. Mother chuckles, "Don't take it personally Maria, he's not the most welcoming person to anybody".

We step onto the deck of the ship with our suitcases in hand. I glance around to where the wheel of the boat is and see a boy leaning over the railing. He has blonde hair which softly falls to his shoulders and piercing blue eyes. His jawline is sharp and he looks lost in thought. He catches me looking at him and smirks.

"Come on Maria the scary man is going to show us where our coffins are" laughs Luciano, pulling at my arm. "Luciano don't be rude! His name is Baron Magnus and you must address him as such" says Raphaela, but she's smiling.

Before following them downstairs I quickly look back to where the boy was, but he's gone.

----------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much for choosing to read my book, I hope you've enjoyed the first chapter. I'll try and publish the second chapter as soon as possible :)