17

" What's gonna happen to your friends?".

The question Steve has been trying to keep in the back of his mind. He doesn't want to think about it, but he knows what will happen. He read the accords.

" Whatever it is... I'll deal with it", He responds.

" And your wife?", Bucky asks.

" She... she'll be closely monitored. Medical workup. Neruo analysis. Power preventative cuffs. Full restraint", Steve says, the pain in his heart growing with every word.

" I don't know if I'm worth all this, Steve".

" What you did all those years, it wasn't you. You didn't have a choice".

" I know...But I did it".

Meanwhile, the heroes are on the Raft. A secure military compound in the middle of the ocean. Each of them in cells under lock and key. When Tony landed, he told Ross about Zemo, and then walked into the holding area, regret instantly hitting him when he sees his friends.

And then Clint starts to clap.

" The futurist, gentlemen! The futurist is here! He sees all", He exclaims, " He knows what's best for you, whether you like it or not".

" Give me a break, Barton. I had no idea they'd put you in here, come on", Tony says.

" Yeah, well you knew they'd put us somewhere, Tony", Clint says.

" Yeah, but not some super-max floating ocean pokey. This place is for maniacs. This place is for--".

" Criminals? Criminals, Tony. Think that's the word you're looking for. Right? That didn't used to mean me. Or Lo or Wanda. But here we are".

" Because you broke the law".

" Yeah".

" I didn't make you. You read it, you broke it".

" La la la la".

" Alright, you're all grown up. You got a wife and kids. I don't understand, why didn't you think of them before you chose the wrong side?".

" You gotta watch you back with this guy. {slams} There's a chance he's gonna break it!".

His words make Tony look back, but he keeps walking.

" Hank Pym always said, you could never trust a Stark", Scott says.

" Who are you again?", Tony asks.

" Come on, man".

As he goes down to the level where Lauren's being held, all of his nerves fire at once. He's scared.

" Surprised I'm not in solitary confinement?", She asks.

" No, because I know they'd never get you in there", He says in an attempt to make her laugh, but it doesn't work, " Are you okay?".

From Lauren's seated position, legs crossed, she slowly lifts her head up to look at him.

" Am I okay?".

She stands up, slowly walking towards the wall that divides them.

" What the hell do you think?", She asks.

When Tony looks into her eyes, he sees a darkness he's never seen before.

" When I hit you with the repulser... you weren't supposed to bleed like that. You were only supposed to be stunned", Tony says.

" You're right... I wasn't... but I did", Lauren says.

" Maybe it was too high, or your cuffs--".

" I was pregnant, Tony".

Shock fills his entire body at her words.

" What?", He asks.

" I-I was pregnant... and now I'm not".

" I thought you were--".

" I was... I am... I-I don't know how this is possible. It should've been impossible... but it happened. It happened... and I was so happy. For the first time in my life... I wanted a baby. I wanted to be a mother... to start a family with the man I love. But... you took that away from me, Tony".

" I didn't know--".

" You killed my baby!".

Lauren slams at the barrier, making the entire Raft shake at her strength.

" My baby... is dead. It's dead because of you, Tony!".

He sees the pain filled tears form in her eyes, and his heart aches.

" I'm sorry", Tony says, a single tear dripping down his cheek, " Lauren, I am so sorry".

" No... you don't get to be sorry", Lauren says, " You get to pay. From this day forward... I will never... ever, forgive you for this... Tony Stark".

He looks deep into her eyes, and in that moment he knows. She's dead serious.

" I'll do anything to make it up to you", He says.

Lauren gets as close to the barrier as possible, her hands gripping the bars, her eyes boring into his soul.

" Don't kill my husband".

Her venom laced voice sends a shiver down his spine, but he agrees.

" Now get out of my sight".