12

I kissed Spot again before he said, "Run away wid me."

"What?"

"Run away wid me." Spot repeated.

"I-" I grasped for words, "What do you mean?"

Spot's jaw clenched a little, as if he was thinking hard, "Yours fadder will look fo' you, right? Da only way ta be togedder (together) is ya run away. I'se know it sounds a little extreme, but dats what I do best!"

I cupped his cheek in the palm of my hand, "Spot..." I whispered, "I can't. What about Emmie- I mean Ralph? Or- or your Brooklyn newsies?!"

"But da strike ended! Dey'll (They'll) be fine. Dey knew I wasn't gonna be dere leader foreva! An- an we can take Emmie wid us. We'll be like a family. A real family, Y/n."

Tears pricked at the edges of my eyes. He really wanted this. And it did sound wonderful. "But if I run away," I said, "Then father might jack the prices back up again. I couldn't do that to the rest of the newsies. And with Emmie's injuries, it would be hard to get him out of the house. I love the idea Spot, but it just wouldn't work."

Spot huffed, and was quiet for a bit. "I'se just really wanna be wid you."

"I wanna be with you too."

***

Spot and I sat on the Brooklyn lodging house roof until dawn, my head on his shoulder and his head on mine, watching the night sky.

Once the sun started rising though, I knew I had to get back home.

"Can yous come back tonight?" Spot asked, hands in his pockets as I brushed off my dress.

"Of course." I smiled and pecked him on the cheek.

I started towards the edge of the roof when I felt Spots hand grip onto my wrist.

I turned back to his guilty looking face, "Jus- can you tink 'bout my offer?" He asked.

I bit my lip, hesitating, "Sure."

***

I ran back to the Brooklyn lodging house as the sun was going down. I knew that father suspected something from the dirt stains on my dress this morning, but right now I didn't care. I just needed to see Spot. Today had been a troubling day.

"Spot!" I cried as I jumped to the roof. There he stood, turning when I called his name.

I ran into his arms, throwing him off balance with my unexpected weight. "Darlin'?" He asked, stumbling back, "What wrong?"

"Nothing." I said, "I just really missed you today."

"Why?" He said and I felt his chest reverberate with his chuckles.

I sighed heavily and sat down, "I'm so sorry that I didn't tell you this, but I didn't know myself. Kat just told me yesterday and I couldn't bring myself to tell you and-"

"Y/n." Spot said, sitting down next to me, "Just tell me."

I took in deep breath, "Alright, alright. Well, my father is marrying me off."

"Wha?!" Spot yelled out, "Why?!"

"He- He said I'm old enough and he needs someone to keep me in line. I tried to tell him that I'm too young, but it didn't work!"

"Well, now da only ting ta do is run away!" Spot said, "Come on, Y/n/n! Please."

I exhaled, before weighing my options. I could run away with Spot, and live out my life with him, but we would be leaving Emmie and the rest of his newsies. But Emmie is being taken care of and I'm sure he understands. Plus, he now has Les to watch over him. And Spot has been the leader of the Brooklyn newsie for quite some time. It may be time for someone else to step in. And we could always visit he rest of the newsies.

So, I said the only word that felt right coming out of my mouth, "Alright."

Hello everyone! I know that this is starting to sound like a 1800s romance movie, and I'm very sorry about that, but it is sent in 1898, so.... I'm trying to steer away from the romance movie, but I'm sorry if it's not working. Also, I'm not sure how to end this, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!