Chapter 02 - Manabu Horikita

Start from the beginning

Maybe this was the test?

Is this what determined our points? If you think about it logically, then it would make perfect sense. You would get points only for what you're worth. If you don't pay attention in class, behave disrespectfully, score poor marks in exams and such, your Private Points would plummet as a result. But keeping tabs on each individual student would definitely be an impossible task for a teacher, who has to both teach and keep and eye open for anomalies.

Unless we were being watched by someone else.

It would lighten the load on the teacher, and improve overall efficiency of the entire procedure. I looked around the class for any clues. I caught Sato-san and Inogashira-san staring at me, and they quickly averted their gaze when it met mine. But that was not important as of now.

There was a camera in class.

If you didn't look properly, you would never notice it. It was a small device, lodged into the back corner of the classroom, right behind and above Ayanokoji's desk. Every 30 seconds or so, it blinked its light once, though very dim.

This confirmed a major part of my theory. We were being watched at all times, and our attitudes were being monitored, which would later reflect in our Private Points.

Would the seniors know anything about this? I didn't have any contacts yet, but it was worth a try to ask senior students about the Point System.

I decided to find out soon enough. But for now, I would pay attention in class. It was the least I could do help myself, even if it would turn out to be for naught in the end.

________________________________________________________________________________

After school, there was an announcement made, that club activities would start for the first years, and there would be some sort of 'orientation' with all the clubs in the gymnasium in case we wanted to join one.

This was the perfect opportunity. There would definitely be seniors at the Club Orientation. I could ask and voice my concerns to the ones that seemed trustworthy.

"Takeyama-kun, wanna come along with us to the Club Orientation Session?"

Hirata was the one who asked me. Behind him there were several girls waiting eagerly for my reply.

"Sure. I was planning to go anyways.", I replied nonchalantly.

"Great! Then shall we?"

I nodded, and after slinging my back over my head, I headed out with Hirata and his harem to the Gymnasium.

"Takeyama-kun, I'm Maya Sato. Nice to meet you! I'd like to get to know you better."

"Nice to meet you, Sato-san, and likewise."

There was quite some banter centered around me and Hirata, most of them indirectly asking for our numbers. But either Hirata didn't catch onto that, or he did, and was doing the same thing that I was doing - ignoring number requests for now. I could, however, see that Hirata could hold a conversation really well. I knew it from the beginning, but being able to see it in person does make me wish I had better social skills. I was being focused on by a few of the girls, but I usually didn't speak much, and just nodded along with their excitement. Eventually, we reached the Gymnasium.

There were quite a few first years here. I could recognize a few of them from my class, but most of the faces were alien to me.

"Which club are you interested in joining, Takeyama-kun?", Inogashira-san asked me.

"I'm just browsing. I haven't really thought about it."

"I'm planning to join the soccer club. You could try it out as well, Takeyama-kun", Hirata interjected, reassuring me.