(1) Ages: 10 & 7

Ages: 10 & 7

"James! Are you ready?" Mrs. Jenson shouted up with stairs with a smile on her face. She was excited beyond belief because her best friend, Alison, and her husband, Keith, had moved in across the street. It was the first time she had seen them in nearly five years and she couldn't wait to catch up with some old friends. They all used to live in Aurora, a small town in Eastern North Carolina, but when Keith got a great job offer nearly five hundred miles away, it seemed impossible to turn it down and they haven't been for a visit since. Nearly five years later and finally, Keith's job had brought him back to North Carolina and they were all prepared to pick up where they left off, not to mention re-introducing the kids. The Loren's had a daughter three years younger than James who they remember to be the most beautiful baby girl they had ever seen. They were anxious to see just how much more beautiful their friend's girl had grown and just how well their son would take to a new girl around.

Suddenly, loud footsteps could be hear rushing down the stairs as a ten-year-old James stood in front of his parents with a large smile. "I'm ready!" He said in excitement while straightening out his best shirt like a little man.

Mrs. Jenson chuckled at her son's behavior and glanced over at her husband in confusion. Mr. Jenson simply shrugged, not really understanding James' excitement.

"What are you so excited about, James?" Mrs. Jenson asked in curiosity.

The truth was; James was excited to meet the Loran's young boy named Benny who he assumed would be his new next door neighbor and hopefully best friend. It's funny how kids can misunderstand sometimes; especially when their mother says Jenny and they hear Benny.

Knock, knock.

The door to the Loren's flew open to reveal a young couple with large smiles and a rather loud screech. "Denise! Richard!" Without hesitation, the woman allowed the Jenson's and their son into the house before quickly giving each of them a welcoming hug. They all greeted each other as expected after being estranged for the last five years and soon all eyes are directed down to the young boy who had been looking high and low for his new playmate, completely unaware all eyes were directed at him.

"You must be James." The young boy took in the beautiful woman crouched down in front of him. She had long, straight dark brown hair that fell far below her shoulders and wore clothes that James had only seen in his mother's fancy magazines. She wrapped the boy in a tight hug that smelled of vanilla and only the nicest of things. "Gosh, it has been so long since I've seen you! You've gotten so big!"

The boy felt relief when the woman released him from her grasp, but he knew his mother's rule about manners and smiled politely back at her. "Where's Benny?" He was ten; he didn't bother with small talk.

The woman gave him a funny look before glancing up at Mr. and Mrs. Jenson for answers. The couple simply shrugged with a small smirk about the same time a pair of small footsteps were heard coming slowly down the stairs. James turned in excitement but to his dismay, the footsteps belonged to a little girl with a white frilly dress and frown plastered firmly across her face.

"Mom, I hate this stupid dress! Can't I just wear my play clothes?!"

"Jennifer Michelle Loren, get down here right now and say hi to our friends then you can go upstairs and change into whatever you like," Mrs. Loran said with a small eye roll directed at the Jenson's as they all gave a small chuckle in response.

The little girl crossed her arms over her chest with a pout and a loud sigh of agitation before she slowly made her way down the stairs to stand at her mother's side. "Jenny, this is Mr. and Mrs. Jenson and their son, Jameson."

"Don't you dare teach that child to call us Mr. and Mrs.!" Denise scolded jokingly before looking down at the little girl. "It's so nice to see you again Miss Jenny and if you like you can call us Aunt Denise and Uncle Richard."

"Okay...and what do I call him?" She asked the couple before turning to look at their confused looking son with a small scowl and look of disapproval.

"Well, I was hoping to call you Benny but, since you are obviously not my new best friend...or a boy, I'll call you Jenny and you can call me James."

"I thought your name was Jameson?" She asked smartly.

"I hate that name." He said bluntly, causing his parents to give him a disapproving look.

"Good. Then I shall call you Jameson." The little girl said before rushing up the flight of stairs to her room, probably to change from her frilly dress into something she deemed appropriate.

James rolled his eyes and stared up at his parents in disappointment. "Is this punishment for not eating my vegetables?"

The four grown-ups chuckled at the child's reaction and usher him into the kitchen where dinner is being served.