40: Dinner

I wold rather cut my tongue out than be at this dinner. It's going to be a load of babble about pointless politics and other stupid topics. I'm in my room, rushing to look presentable since I just got back from dropping Tobias off at Zekes and Marcus will be here in half an hour. I throw on a simple knee length blue dress, halter top style with a soft lace neckline. My hair goes up in a simple bun atop my had and I throw some mascara on along with some velvet blue flats.

My parents talk idly downstairs, waiting for Marcus to arrive. I'm hesitant to talk to them but I'll have to tonight I'm sure.

" I'd like to establish some rules" I announce

"Like?" My dad motions for me to elaborate.

" Not a word about Four." I begin " do not mention that he lives here or that we know him."

" I didn't know that you were so ashamed about that" my dad jokes. I shoot him a flat look but before I can respond the doorbell rings. My parents are at the door in seconds, pulling it open and greeting Marcus enthusiastically. I hang back with Caleb, who is dressed in a white button up and dress pants. Marcus enters the house, grinning sickeningly at something my dad said.

" This is Beatrice and Caleb" my dad introduces.

" Nice to meet you" Caleb greets, shaking his hand. I hang back. I know I shouldn't make my dislike so blatant but it's hard.

" Hello again Beatrice" Marcus greets. I slap on a very fake smile and quickly shake his hand. We walk to the dining room as a group, tucking into a meal if pork chops and potatoes. the dinner goes by quickly, fill with, as predicted, political babble. Everything is fine, until Marcus opens his mouth.

" I heard the most interesting thing from my nephew earlier" He chuckles. Peters his nephew. This can't end well.

" Oh?" My dad asks

"Yes. Apparently he thinks Beatrice and her boyfriend are very cute together. He says that at lunch today they were kissing and everything." My stomach is in knots, this can't happen.

" Boyfriend" my parents exclaim in unison. " Who?"

" A boy named...Four,was it?" He says nonchalantly, as if that wasn't a blow to my chest.

" Oh" my dad spits through gritted teeth. " Beatrice. I thought we resolved this."

" Dad-" I plead

" I gave you a chance. I told you that you were to break up with that boy or he wouldn't be aloud to stay here anymore." he growls.

"Dad!" I shriek. This is spiraling downhill to quickly.

" NO" He roars " I gave you a warning. I'm contacting the orphanage."

" Dad. No" I cry, tears finally making their appearance " Mom tell him he's being ridiculous."

"I agree dear. It's for the best." She sighs.

" Send the boy to an orphanage?" Marcus fakes shock. " That won't do. I know! He can come stay with me. Orphanages are no fun."

"YOU CANT DO THIS" I shout. He can't go back to Marcus. I don't doubt that he would die.

" Beatrice! Calm that temper" my dad scolds. " So nice of yo to offer Marcus. I think that would do."

"Caleb. Do something" I sob to my brother.

" Doesn't the kid get a say in this?" Caleb begs

" I don't trust his judgment. He moved in with his girlfriend." My dad says offhandedly.