She cracked a grin and then turned the lights off and stepped out, closing the door behind her. I grabbed her hand and looked at her from head to toe one more time before pecking her cheek softly. She blushed a little and then we headed out, driving to my mother's mansion.

We got there and followed the routine we follow at every party. The dress Demi ordered for my mom came in earlier so we left that with the rest of the gifts. Every time somebody asked me who Demi was, I did what I was supposed to, I introduced her as my girlfriend. But I noticed her get more and more agitated every time I did.

We were more than halfway through the party when Mom introduced us to a couple. The lady was, I'm guessing, Mom's friend. "Who's this?" she smiled, glancing at Demi.

"This is my girlfriend, Demi."

Demi only offered a smile but I heard her sigh as the guests left with my mom. I turned to her. "Are you okay?" I asked softly.

She held my gaze for a minute and then shook her head. "I'm sorry but it's eating at me."

I frowned in confusion, "What is?"

"I'm going to go get some air, I'll be right back."

"Demi—"

She turned, running a hand through her hair and heading to the backyard.

I waited and waited and waited and fifteen whole minutes went by and she still wasn't back. I was walking to the backyard when I heard thunder crackle in the sky followed by soft pitter patters of the rain. "Shit," I mumbled, pushing the doors open. It's going to turn from a soft drizzle to a downpour soon and she's out there. I walked out, scanning the yard, and spotted her sitting under the gazebo.

She was just watching the rain.

I walked over briskly, sighing once I reached her.

She turned to look at me. "What's up?" she sighed.

I stared at her in disbelief. "What do you mean 'what's up?' I was waiting for you, Demi."

"Sorry. I forgot," she shrugged.

My eyes narrowed. "Are you tipsy?"

"No," she scoffed, "I'm just not in the best mood. Is there any chance I can go home?"

"We'll leave together if you want to leave."

She turned her body to face mine and just stared at me for a moment.

"Demi?" I lifted my brows.

She leaned forward, grabbing my tie and pulling me into a kiss and I kissed her back almost immediately, it was instinct. She pulled away abruptly and shot up, tracing her lips. "I shouldn't have done that."

I frowned, standing up with her. "Why not?"

She glanced at me. She took in a breath and then sighed heavily. "What are we doing, Vince? We should just get back to the party, right? Come on."

I held her back and pulled her into me. "Your patience is wearing thin, I know," I nodded softly.

She nodded with me. "Very thin."

"You want to talk about all of this, I know."

She nodded again.

"But please just wait till we get back home."

She held my gaze and calmly said, "That's the problem. I don't know if I can wait."

"Demi—"

"Vince, listen to me. I'm getting very tired. I already spent two years hiding how I felt about you while I worked for you. When I finally let it out, it cost us both nearly everything. And now... I have you but I really don't. And I'm trying, I really am trying to be there for you and do as you ask. Because this isn't real, is it?"

"I want it to be real too, Demi," I said softly.

"But at the end of the day, it isn't, right? We're liars. At the end of the day, I'm your girlfriend on paper. We haven't done anything because we wanted to, not even kissed."

"You think I didn't want to kiss you? You think every time I did it, it was for show?"

"That's what it feels like, Vince. Do you even like me?"

I stared at her.

"If you do, then tell me. I'm tired of guessing and I'm tired of pretending. I like you, do you like me? I want you, do you want me? Is any of this even real? I can't tell anymore. That's why we should stop before things get more complicated."

I blinked in confusion. "You want to escape it? You'll really run from this... whatever this is instead of facing it?"

"You've been running from it this whole time, Vince. I'm not running or escaping it. I'm just fucking tired of waiting and not knowing what's real and what's fake. Because you don't have any answers for me. And I think I deserve better than that. Either we stick to the contract or we cut the bullshit and stop pretending. Tell me, Vince. Tell me right now, what will it be?"

.

.

.

.

.

Chapter 32

IT'S HAPPENING

Also, credit to @badbitchiammasavage for the idea for the whole confession moment. A lot of people in the comments agreed with the idea and so did I but it's kinda hard to write it exactly like that, so I'm gonna change it a bit to fit the story better, but rightful credits to them for giving me the idea and like how to go about it!

next chapter: love