31

"You need bedrest, fluids. I've called on Master Hamir and he's examining this with Wong as we speak." Those were the first things Hazel heard as soon as her eyes fluttered open. Her entire body was sore and her head was throbbing, but she made sure to not appear that way. Stephen was pacing back and forth across her room, shoes clacking against the wood. "No magic, too. I'm putting an energy field around your room. You're not to leave it until I say you're fit to do so. Understand?"

The air grew thick. There was so much he wanted to say, but didn't know how he should be acting. Disciplinary? Investigative? Caring? He's never had this sort of relationship with anyone. What was he to say? He was aiming to use a firmer hand on her this time, but yearned to be more nurturing. As if he was sent from god themself, Fluffy hopped onto the sorceress' lap. She gasped with glee and embraced him.

"Fluffy!" She cooed and pet his head. He sniffed at her nose and licked it, then put a paw on her cheek. Stephen's eyes widened.

"No no, no touching. She's fragile right now and your dirty paws may infect her wound." He grabbed him by the back of the neck then held him with one hand. Her features were tinted with sadness and he rolled his eyes. "Fine."

He placed him back on his lap and she immediately smiled. Fluffy kneaded her lap then later, began to settle down and purr on it. She was reminded of his statement and checked her face for any wounds.

There was a patch of gold right at the apex of her cheekbone and she gasped. Is this going to be permanent? She took notice on the larger area on her arm. Her breathing turned shallow and she fought tears back.

"It doesn't seem like it's made out of actual metal. It may be temporary." He comforted, but kept his tone sturdy.

The life of a sorcerer makes little room for vanity. She shouldn't be feeling anything other than indifference— she shouldn't even care about how she looks. First, the scar on her torso. Then, the scars on her hands, then her arms and face. Her eyes got wetter and wetter. She could feel the dangerous amount of energy flowing inside her again. Her eyes began to glow, which was the first sign of whatever it was that happened to her.

"Hazel?" His posture stiffened and he prepared himself for what was about to happen.

She shut her eyes and aimed to silence her mind. Happy thoughts, she said to herself. She stroked Fluffy's fur and regulated her breathing. The energy simmered down. There was relief on both of their faces.

"It's triggered by your emotions." he hypothesized and crossed his arms.

"Or...energy? I think this is time-stone related." She suggested and chewed on her lip. "But I'm not drawing any power from Agamotto. This makes no sense, why is this happening? I don't understand, it's pissing me off,"

"Think about it later." He immediately changed the subject before she could spiral. "Again, no spell casting for a week. No physical activity until you're very clearly in a better condition. I'm going to assign you books that you will be reading during this time. Meditate, stabilize yourself. Now would be a good time to reflect and do some thinking."

His stance was firm and his voice was commanding. She nodded in response and stopped stroking the cat. Her heart stung out of guilt and her cheeks flushed with shame, she avoided his eyes after observing the dark circles around his them— she probably caused him a lot of trouble.

"I...was worried." His gaze softened and he relaxed his face. He inched closer and put an arm around her.

"Have you slept or eaten at all? You look bad." She added that second part just in case it got too tender. She debated on speaking up and twisted the sheets in her fingers.

"What?" He noticed her expression. She struggled to find the words to express herself.

"You know, I was beginning to think you hated me." She said in a half joking manner and forced a laugh. His heart sank to the bottom of his stomach.

"What?" He breathed out and sat down on the foot of her bed. "Hazel, I could never ever hate you, not in a single reality in the entire multiverse,"

"I know, and I'll never hate you too." She nodded, then sighed. "I was convinced you did. I convinced myself. I've just been assuming the worst things and telling myself that they're true,"

"Because you aren't well." He gave it to her straight, and there was no shock on her face. He moved closer. "We both know that this occupation...is not for the faint of heart. Just like soldiers, this'll bring forth both mental and physical scars,"

"I know." She simply nodded and looked up at him. "You're the Sorcerer Supreme, it's harder for you,"

"But I have my apprentice and you have me, right? So we'll be fine," He concluded.

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I've been out of my game, lately. I'll do better. No more fun and games, it's serious time." She sat up with determination. Fluffy stretched off her lap and placed himself on the space beside her, under the pillow.

"After you rest." He says and pushes her back on the pillow. He stretched his limbs and let his body sprawl out on the bottom part of her bed. He placed his head on her lap and shut his eyes. "And I could use some sleep, too."