Kulu Kulu

Shivya has been asking so many questions ever since the ride started. Unusal of him, Maraan was enjoying this as she kept speaking and questioning him. “Iru ma. Evalo kelvi,” Maaran said as he took a right turn. Shivya kept looking at him narrowing her eyes. “Yen ma morikaara?”

“Apa neengha solla maatingha?” Maaran nodded his head a no and said “ Naan solla maattean , neeye paaru.” Shivya’s eyes widen and turned around immediately and saw out the window. It was the beach. Shivya got even more excited. She turned and looked at Maaran. “My favourite place,” they both said at the same time and chuckled. “Maaran’ey nammaku wavelength same'uh,” she said making Maaran chuckle.

They both got down and Shivya started to run excitedly. Maaran chuckled at her excitement and walked behind her and stood there, admiring her. Shivya stopped and closed her eyes and inhaled the fresh air with a smile playing on her lips.

Maaran stood at a distance just seeing her every move. He followed her every move and took a deep breath, but his eyes were open admiring her. He enjoyed the moment.

It has been difficult for Maaran. He has visited the beach many times but he could never breathe peacefully. Today was different. He could breathe, finally. He did not feel suffocated anymore.

~~~

Shivya opened her eyes slowly and met his gaze. Even though he was not near her, she could see his eyes clearly. She wanted to avert her gaze but she couldn’t. It was like he held her gaze and she had no option rather than looking back into his eyes. Shivya’s heart was fine with that. She found his gaze comfortable and safe.

~~~

When Maaran saw her opening her eyes he did not dare to move his eyes. He wanted to see her eyes, those two eyes looking at him with concern, admiration ,care and love. He did not want this to end. He was ready to drown in her eyes.

~~~

Both their trance was broken by a loud horn. They both smiled at each other and Shivya shouted “Maaran’ey, vanga.” He nodded and walked to her. Though they enjoyed the comfortable silence between them, Shivya decided to break it. “Maaran’ey vaanga anga pollaam,” saying so she dragged his arms. They sat  on the sands careful enough that the waves won’t touch them. They both were just gazing at the sky while swaying their bodies according to their breathing.

“Alaga irrukula.Naan la miss’ey panna matean itha. I always make sure to watch the susnet or atleast the sunrise. Athu vera feel’uh,” she said and looked at Maaran who was already looking at her.“Namma kallam night’uh thaan. The lonely moon  and me that’s it,” he smiled bitterly. Shivya understood how much he suffered. His eyes yearned for love.

There was a silence.

Shivya knew he would be drowning in thoughts so she decided distract him.
Shivya widen her eyes and squealed, “ice-cream.”

“Ma ippo thaan hospital la iruntha vantha.Venam ma.” Shivya showed her puppy eyes to him, “please Maaran’ey.” He melted and nodded his head and bought them ice-creams.

“Ma un auditions eppadi ponichi,” he asked as he remembered about her singing. “Aiyo! Athu, vera feel’uh. Romba nervous ah irunthichi. Approm after I sang the cheers and applauds from everyone just gave me confidence. When they announced I got in, I was over the moon.” She started talking excitedly swaying her hands. She kept talking and Maaran listened to her. His eyebrows scrunched at the name of Sathya. “Sathya?,” he asked. “Hmm, avan naala thaan intha audition miss panala. Actually avan than enakaaga apply ye pannaan.” Maaran remembered the boy she went with on the bike. “Nee annikhi bike’la ponniye oru boy kuda?”, he asked. Shivya thought for a moment and Maraan clarified,” window valiya pathean.”  Shivya then nodded her head. Maaran hesistantly asked “un boyfriend ah?” Shivya looked him as he mentioned that. Now she understood why he kept repeating ‘boyfriend’ that day when he was scolding her. She kept looking at Maaran and suddenly broke into laughter.