New Leaf: Ocean Thousand, Mountain Thousand

Start from the beginning

You wonder if Jiraiya could force you to be a shinobi, even with your disability.

Tou-chan would always shield you from any military recruitment, but he's not here to protect you this time. You're on your own, and the only thing you could do is hope that Jiraiya is friendly enough with tou-chan to care for your well-being-- particularly, your autonomy.

But then, perhaps being a shinobi isn't entirely a terrible thing.

What are the pros and cons of being a Konoha shinobi?

Cons? There's risk of death, but then again, there's risk of death everywhere. There's also the risk of unwanted attention-- specifically from a snake and a warhawk, but maybe they'll be deterred by Jiraiya's guardianship over you. You also considered the fact that leaving the village would be harder, as it demands your loyalty. Most of the time, shinobi don't become immigrants when they leave, they become missing-nin (you humored the thought that perhaps you and tou-chan could be missing-nins together). Lastly, there's a possibility that your recruitment, alone, could alter the canon timeline, which is a big no-no.

Now, as for the pros? Well, there's monetary rewards; that was your first goal when you thought you were 'poor'. You'll also get to continue to receive proper shinobi training, not to mention the connections you can have through it. Being a shinobi would give you easier access to village information. And if you play your cards right, maybe you can even have an in-village career-- safe from the frontlines. Surely, the higher-ups would grant you that, considering your combat disadvantage. Not to mention that they'll want to preserve you, as you'll be a fuuinjutsu specialist one day. And...

Maybe you can finally have a permanent place to live in with tou-chan?

A place you can finally call home?

That hopeful thought was then crushed by your memory of Konoha being destroyed three times throughout the series, and not one disaster has passed yet.

Ugh, of all the hidden villages you could live in, tou-chan just had to choose the one with the highest casualty counts.

It's... It's fine. You have time.

Konoha's first calamity was the Kyuubi Attack, and that was after the Third Shinobi War. Tou-chan would've already taken you away by then, which means you'll be safe from all the plot's mess. You can work with that. You just need to last long enough.

But first...

"Oi, hermit, can I be a Konoha shinobi?" You asked, finally breaking hours of silence during the trip, which seemed to have relieved Jiraiya for a moment, before he processed what you just asked.

You know that the cons of being a shinobi outweigh the pros, but those cons will double if you become a shinobi unwillingly.

Konoha may be a 'friendly' village, but tou-chan's skepticism bled unto you enough for you to realize that it's all a facade to market to the civilians. There's a reason why Konoha's economy is booming, despite other hidden villages offering the same, if not better, products. Konoha may appear nice to the civilians, but their military is just as ruthless as any other shinobi village, albeit tamer to keep up appearances.

They will have no qualms in manipulating you to be their shinobi, especially with your potential. Hell, they might even use you to recruit tou-chan. Having knowledge of the 'behind the scenes', it's easy for you to be cynical of a village that created villains like Orochimaru, Danzo, and to some extent, the Akatsuki.