lxviii | OPERATION_021 :: CHEWING-GUM_DREAM

″The criminal should come out when I'm being nice.„ ″Hurry, come out!„

″We're walking on the same path every day.„

″Sweet chewing gum.„

«§»

ᴏᴘᴇʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ_ᴏxxɪ ;; ᴄʜᴇᴡɪɴɢ-ɢᴜᴍ
ᴜɴɪᴛ ;; ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍ
ᴍɪssɪᴏɴ ᴏʙᴊᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ :: sᴇᴀʀᴄʜ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴠɪsɪᴏɴ ꜰɪʟᴇs|

«§»

Location: Vision Office, Incheon, South Korea
Time: 12:07:25
Date: Mid February 2198
RCO: NCT DREAM

"Let's get this over with," Renjun said, reaching up and yawning. Just like before, he'd still rather not be there.

Mark nodded, accepting his words. They just needed to grab what they needed and leave. Hopefully, they'd find some information about EXO along with ASTRO. Not to mention that there weren't any robots– or people, for that matter– at the office. It would be a quick and easy.

As he thought this, Chenle, who was right behind him, looked back at Renjun. "You'll live, come on."

"I know, but it'd still not hurt for us to split up and get more things done."

Jeno paused and almost stopped walking. "That's... not a bad idea, actually. Um, I can go with Chenle. I think Ten mentioned that most of the offices are on the 10th and 11th floors, so we should take that."

"Okay, that works," Haechan said, nodding. "I'll go with Renjun–"

"–bad idea–"

"–shut up Chenle!– and look through Mr. Choi's office."

"Sure." Jaemin looked at Mark and Jisung. "That leaves us three. We should check the building stations on the 5th floor."

"Meet back here at 12:30?" Mark asked, eyebrows raised. The other six members agreed, quickly splitting off into their assigned groups.

«§»

RCO: MARK, JAEMIN, JISUNG

"Okay, this place is fucking spooky." Jisung looked around for something to stop the heavy duty door from slamming shut. Despite it literally being noon, the building station room was empty, dust around every corner.

"It's like something's about to jumpscare us." Mark took off his watch, using it as a flashlight. "The criminal should come out when I'm being nice."

"Hurry, come out!" Jaemin added, as though he was an echo. He removed his chin from its spot on Mark's shoulder to take a look around. It didn't look as though there was anything interesting going on, despite the eerie setting.

Mark looked over at the workbenches, seeing robot plans strewn around the area. Of course, it was Vision. They didn't seem like they'd give them any new information that they didn't have, but he still pocketed them. Jisung saw this as well, walking over to another bench. Again, just plans. Nothing about ASTRO or EXO.

Jaemin was also unsucessful. Maybe the others would find something. Maybe they'd find a new group.

«§»

RCO: JENO, CHENLE

Jeno and Chenle were breezing through offices like it was nobody's business. They only found a few more papers on ASTRO, those being ones that they'd already seen. "We're walking on the same path every day," Jeno had huffed. Chenle had merely replied with, "damn, that's some deep shit."

They were able to find out a little more, though. They had been a group from 2134-2139, long before any of the NCT members had been born.

The older of the two opened up a filing cabinet, eyes landing on something promising. EXO. An entire folder dedicated to them.

He thought he'd hit the jackpot, but as he pulled out the folder, he noticed how thin it was. Mr. Choi probably had the rest of what was missing from the paper stack.

"Names, Chenle!" He cheered. God, that had been a rollercoaster. "We have names!"

Chenle stopped looking through the papers on the desk of the office (belonging to a "Mrs. Yoon"), practically bounding over to Jeno. "Kim Junmyeon (Suho), Kim Minseok (Xiumin), Zhang Yixing (Lay), Byun Baekhyun, Kim Jongdae (Chen), Park Chanyeol, Do Kyungsoo (D.O), Kim Jongin (Kai), and Oh Sehun."

"At least we have something interesting now," Jeno said, nodding as he scanned through the three pages in the file.

"Wait!" Chenle pointed at a spot in the middle of the second page. "They are the result of an SE x Vision contract, just like us."

"So ASTRO are the odd ones out, then," Jeno murmured. "Maybe SE was doing something else."

"Or it could have something to do with what fantagio was into. There was apparently another issue started for them, but JaeJae hasn't given us that information."

"You're right." Jeno snapped the file shut. "Let's get to the next office."

«§»

RCO: RENJUN, HAECHAN

Haechan practically threw open the first drawer in the office, not knowing whether he should groan or smile at the contents. "Sweet chewing gum."

"Don't get sidetracked." Renjun opened up the drawer on the opposite side, fishing out the paper there. He split them up in half, giving a portion to the younger. "Look through those for anything important."

"Um, okay."

It turns out that it was the older who ended up finding the important information. Namely, EXO's timeframe. "Okay, they were active from 2087-2097. Another planned murder, this time being..." he trailled off, noticing that the rest of the page was absent from his booklet.

Haechan noticed, finishing off. "A drive-by. Holy shit, that's brutal." He grabbed a nearby folder and stuffed the papers inside of it. "Let's get this to the others."

«§»

"Any luck?" Renjun asked Mark, who shrugged.

"No, nothing really. We found a few robot building plans and that was it."

"Hm." The younger turned to Jeno, eyebrows raised as if he was asking the same question.

"I'm so glad you asked! Jeno, the folder?" Chenle stuck out his hand, waiting for Jeno to place their new information into his hands. "Okay, so we have all of EXO's names. Kim Junmyeon, Kim Minseok, Zhang Yixing, Byun Baekhyun, Kim Jongdae, Park Chanyeol, Do Kyungsoo, Kim Jongin, and Oh Sehun. They were also, like us, the result of an SE x Vision contract."

"He asked Jeno, but okay." Haechan pulled out the folder he and Renjun had put together. "We found out that they were active from 2087-2097 and scheduled to die in a drive-by."

"So Vision made sure that all of their contract-made groups would die," Jaemin said, tapping his chin in thought. "Why would they do that?"

Jeno nodded as he took in the question. "I... yeah, there's no reason why they should be killing off their employees."

Jisung, who had been quiet this entire exchange, finally spoke up. "Guys, how have none of you remembered that we're the result of an SE x Vision contract? That means that we might even get killed."