Chapter 17

• The Next Day •

After the lockdown was called off, it was only a matter of time before everybody came to visit.

Emphasis on everybody.

They enjoyed the time with just the three of them as a result. Knowing it wouldn't last long.

Luz was wary, almost as if waiting for permission first, before going for it. Reaching into the small bed and gently bringing the squirming, cooing witchling back up with her.

Luz smiled, holding her close and gently brushing their noses together, muttering softly to her. "Hi, little lovebug! Are you being cute? Aw, you're so cute!"

The witchling snuggled against her mother's chest. Recognizing Luz's voice just as easily as Amity's.

There were tears in Luz's eyes, now. Moving only to press a small kiss to her forehead. "I love you... Little snugglebug!"

Amity giggled across the room.

Luz went a smirk her way. "Hm? Thinking something, Noceda?"

Amity shrugged. "Yep. Well, I know she's got you wrapped around her finger already."

Luz hummed, turning it into a small tune when it clearly helped the witchling relax. Walking forward to sit next to her. "Hey, you can't blame me. I mean look at her, she's so cute!"

Amity smiled.

"I know she's cute." The smile turned into a smirk as she leaned closer to her spouse's ear. "She looks like you."

Luz's face turned a bright red. And, suddenly, there was a small but pleasant ache in her chest as well.

She wasn't expecting the fact that her daughter looked similar to her to sway her so much. But, here it was.

Luz looked down, eyes opening wide.

Amity laid back and closed her eyes, still fairly tired from the previous night, but Luz got her attention with a whisper.

"Ami, Ami! Her eyes! Look!"

Amity leaned over again. Seeing her daughter struggling to open her eyes. Her expression stayed soft, and she reached over to gently rub her daughter's cheek with her thumb. "Take your time, sweetie."

The witchling didn't seem to listen—probably because she couldn't understand what her mother had said.

Very slowly, they cracked open a little. The witchling squirming a bit and making a sound of discomfort as her eyes adjusted to the bright light in the room. Luz holding her closer, shielding her a bit from the light with an: "Aw, sweetie..."

But, eventually, she was looking at them with bright gold eyes. Seeing the blurred image of her parents for the first time through a squint.

It only took a few seconds for the image to blur for said parents as well. Tears filling their eyes until they spilled over.

Her eyes closed again as the brightness became too much. Both of her parents still overjoyed by that small moment.

Luz sent a smile Amity's way. "Hey, she's got beautiful eyes, too."

Amity's throat tightened again. Not needing Luz to elaborate to hear what she was also saying.

Luz leaned closer, pressing a kiss to Amity's cheek. "I love you. And I'm proud of you for putting up with all that stuff before."

Amity smiled. "You did, too. We both put up with a lot..."

Luz laughed. "Yeah."

Luz adjusted the witchling's blanket, as it was rubbing against her face awkwardly and clearly bothering her. "She's perfect, Amity... Really..."