Chapter 14

• One and A Half Months Later •

Amity sat on the windowsill with Luz and watched the boiling rain fall. Leaning against one another in a warm, relaxed embrace. Like they usually did when a storm like this came through.

Amity had finally taken leave after hiring several new employees and volunteers. So the library would be in good hands until she was ready to go back.

For now, she didn't have to worry about going out in the rain to and from where she worked. And could simply enjoy the time she was spending with Luz before classes began again the following day.

This time was out of the ordinary, however. As there were also high winds and thunder. Which rarely happened, and was usually a sign of something bad happening.

This worried Luz, her mother was supposed to visit the next day to help with the witchling, and this type of situation was the last thing they needed. Not only would it hinder their ability to get to a healer when they needed to—which could have been any day, at this point—but the sheer fact that there was acid rain on the regular would probably make Camila twice as nervous about Luz living on the Boiling Isles. Especially with a newborn.

What was also weird was how long the storm was lasting. It had gone on for over a full day now. The pair was lucky they had gotten food the previous day.

Amity hummed as she thought through some of the potential causes. Landing on one that made her pause.

It has been five years, hasn't it?

"Luz?"

Luz looked down, hearing the tone that Amity hadn't intended to sound so worried. "What's wrong?"

Amity found herself grinning a bit, knowing what Luz's reaction could be out of two options. Mainly that it would be a mix of both. "Remember how you said you wanted to be around during a migration lockdown? It looks like it's going to start soon."

Luz blinked. And then lit up. "R—Really?!"

Amity nodded.

And, right on cue, there was an announcement that all schools and workplaces would be closed—with the exception of healing centers and carriers of needed supplies like food—starting that following day due to the week-long storm that had begun.

By that point, it was well known that the boiling sea wasn't endless, and that there were likely other islands large distances away.

But they'd never seen the need to go, based purely on the distance, and what they knew lives in those regions.

Every two and a half years, a specific species of flying creatures would go across the planet and stay in one of two places.

The first time, it would be around the furthest point of the planet that those in the demon realm hadn't even tried to reach.

The second trip was around the other half, going over the Boiling Isles. As a result, the migration was only experienced by them every five years.

Despite that, they didn't actually know what those creatures looked like.

Because their main concern was the extreme weather that matched their habitat enough for them to take that path in the first place.

There were also theories about them bringing the storms about themselves through some unknown means.

But, it was hard to figure it out.

The only piece of evidence—which actually went against that theory—involved the fact that witches never went to that furthest point because the bad weather that seemed to be constant.