Chapter 9

(A/N: Here's another long one!)

• The Next Day •

It should have been okay.

The evening was clear to do their last two required events.

At least... Leading up to the pre-wedding party. Which was usually a week before the ceremony and was where most of any gifts were exchanged. Though Luz and Amity were firm about not wanting any.

That particular event was only brought to Amity's attention after the date-setting. And she went into a panic on when to do it.

So, it was a fairly stressful few days. On top of Sially still being there.

But, the party didn't look like it had a lot of traditions attached, so hopefully it would be alright if they just winged it for the most part.

The first was the light show. Camila needing to be taught how to use a light glyph for the event.

Waiting near the Grom tree, Luz and Amity were actually able to talk and interact with one another freely.

Eda came first with King, Lilith and Gwendolyn coming later with Hooty.

Eda seemed to be waiting patiently for something when King went up to hug both of them.

Then, when King was drawing his glyph, Eda pulled Luz aside. "So, how have things been? Did that dinner end okay for Amity? I know those foods wouldn't exactly be great for her."

"I mean—Of course it did! Why...?"

Something in her chest felt heavier.

Luz looked up at her, speaking quietly.

"How long have you known?"

"How about since that first visit? Curse gives me instincts like you wouldn't believe. My only suggestion is to tell Lily before she figures what it is out on her own. I told her it's just paranoia, so if she finds out I lied, all three of us are in trouble." Luz took a deep breath, leaning back against the tree. "Beetles?"

"Yeah. We, got engaged the same morning we found out..."

"I figured. You guys got back together, and only told everyone after you got engaged within less than a year? I mean who wouldn't be suspicious?"

Luz nodded once. "We want to tell everyone, but only after the wedding. Just—I dunno. It might make the news better, I guess? Maybe it won't sound as bad if the hard part is already said and done?"

"No need to explain, kid. I got it." A moment of silence passed. "So, how's she holding up?"

"Badly. Her parents sent over this abomination that's meant to help Amity with the engagement they set up. And they'll report anything that happens at the house. So I always have to distract them while Amity's sick, and she insisted on taking the couch after it got suspicious as to why we were sharing a bed."

Eda frowned. "Yeesh, how much longer do you need to put up with that?"

Luz sighed. "She's planning on leaving around Final Duels Day. For good. Sially may still show up, but we have some ideas to keep the house secure. Especially if they already told her parents where we are."

Eda hummed shortly. "Right, well... Just let me know if you wanna take Hooty up on that offer. He'd be more than happy to be your security guard for the day."

Luz smiled. "I don't doubt it, thanks, Eda."

Eda was the one initiating the hug.

"No, problem, kiddo." She let out a sharp exhale, eyes turning glassy as she laughed a little. Pulling away enough to look at Luz's face.