Chapter One

It had been four months since the group had run into the town. Four months since they had lost some of the ones they loved most. Four months since they had been once again tossed into something completely different than what they had gotten used to. 

The first month was the hardest, everyone with their own struggles. Ella came to realize that Daniella wasn't coming back. Josiah stayed locked in his room, not speaking to anyone. Julian and Colton started having some trouble with their relationship. Theo and Jerry both had their own grief to deal with, but they were able to look on the bright side and be strong for their friends. 

Scarlet had been dealing with the fact she had missed her son becoming a husband and a father. Grayson with only a glance at him, you would think he was perfectly fine. But really on the inside, he was falling apart. He couldn't confide in his father, or really anyone. 

He felt alone, more than ever. He wished that maybe it all could just go back to the way it was before. When Daniella, Harper, Hunter, and even Charles were still alive. 

He sighed as he held his fist up to knock on his father's door, but hesitated not wanting to disappoint himself again. He pulled his hand away and started out of the house. He tucked his hands away in his pockets as he decided to take a walk. The air was still a bit breezy, it being February now, but it slowly became a bit warmer. 

He found himself walking quite a bit from the neighborhood, and was standing in a green field. White lines and goals led him to the conclusion it once was filled with people playing soccer. 

He jumped when someone touched his shoulder. "Hey Grayson, you maybe want to join us in a game?" He glanced sideways seeing DJ, with Aria next to him. Jerry, Theo, and surprisingly Ella all stood there too. 

"A game?" He asked, a little confused by their questions, "what do you mean?"

DJ held a soccer ball up in the air, "Some soccer, well more or less. We need another person to make it three on three."

"Uh, no thanks," he said simply, and then started walking away. He couldn't bring himself to really look at any of them. He thought soccer seemed like it'd be fun, but he didn't see the point in messing around anymore.

"Grayson!" Aria shouted, stopping him and then grabbing his arm, "Don't be a bummer. We're only going to play for a bit." Instead of letting him reply or make an excuse, she just kept a deadly grip on his arm and dragged him to the soccer field. 

As much as Grayson wanted to storm off, he also really found the idea of playing a stupid soccer game a great way to pretend everything was how it used to be.

"Okay guys, let's pick some teams," DJ enthusiastically said, placing his arm over Aria's and Grayson's shoulder. "I call being a team captain."

"I call being a team captain too!" Jerry shouted, earning him a chuckle from DJ. Who then played rock, paper, scissors with him to determine who would pick first, letting Jerry win. 

"Okay I want Ella," Theo said smiling towards Ella who started blushing. 

"Isn't that cute," DJ rolled his eyes a bit, earning a swat from Aria. I couldn't help but let a small smile out.

"Okay, then I call hmm, Grayson!" DJ says grinning. Grayson tried to match his smile, but it looked pretty forced. 

They split up the rest, and it ended up being adults vs kids. Even though Grayson, Aria, and Dj should've had the advantage they lost. Three times too.

The kids were giggling after DJ fell to the grass dramatically. Aria then joined him on the grass and soon Grayson followed, as they all tried to catch their breath. 

"Come on guys, one more game," Theo insisted, trying to pull DJ back up.

"Ugh, I don't think I can," DJ said, as he pulled Theo down with a laugh. Theo laughed as he landed on the grass, and soon now everyone was laying on the grass.

Grayson had a genuine smile on his face for the first time in a while. Even when he wished for Daniella to be by his side, it didn't throw off his mood. 

Maybe things would get better, and maybe it was time for him to let Daniella go.