𝙝𝙖𝙪𝙣𝙩𝙞𝙣𝙜 ♡ special

Start from the beginning

But you never really cared for tales of the paranormal, if anything, you considered yourself somewhat of a ghost story debunker.

Most instances of 'paranormal activity' were easily debunkable, and could be explained away with a simple, "there was a string attached, which someone off-camera then pulled, causing the chair to look like it moved on its own" or "it's photoshopped." Naturally, there were times when they weren't as easy to brush away with a one sentence response.

Those cases were your favorites.

And in the case of the Hillingtin House, its reports of paranormal activity weren't all that simple. Of course, you decided to investigate.

A few key devices—or as you and those in the ghost hunting community called them, tools—were needed for this operation.

A headlight (and flashlight for backup!) to help you see in the dark—because you doubted the lights still worked at that abandoned place. Cameras, to record your findings—er, 'findings.' And most importantly, an EVP recorder! Y'know, to actually...'talk' to the 'spirits.'

With your gear all gathered and stuffed neatly into a duffel bag, you let out a hum of confidence.

Another day, another haunting debunked.

︵‿︵‿୨🎃୧‿︵‿︵

The routine you followed today was the same as any other. The only exception to the status quo was that a few of your buddies would be joining you this time.

"Can we go home already?" The tired voice of your friend, Vampire, asked. You shook your head at his question—he was always like this, when invited to events that didn't involve drinking. You wondered why you ever even bothered to invite him, if he was just going to complain about it. Actually, you wondered why he ever even showed up.

"We haven't even arrived there yet," Blackberry answered for you. "It would be a waste to leave before we even set foot in the building." You weren't too sure of Vampire's beliefs in the supernatural, but you knew Blackberry believed in ghosts and ghouls. If you weren't a skeptic, you'd be inclined to believe little ghosts followed her around wherever she went.

"I agree." Truffle nodded. "You'll be missing out on the spiders if we leave now~" Funnily enough, Truffle became your friend after a similar case to the Hillingtin House. A supposedly haunted mansion that actually turned out to be just Truffle. She was probably the oddest of your friend group, but you didn't particularly mind.

"Who cares about spiders? I'm only here because—"

"Yes, because Dark Enchantress ordered you to come—we get it." You cut off the hooded man before he could finish his sentence. He huffed, as if offended you already knew what he was going to say. Not that it was that hard to predict...Licorice wasn't the best at faking emotions or keeping his mouth shut—whether that was a good trait or not was still up for debate.

"Mm, I—for one—don't mind visiting some dusty mansion, so long as I get to see you, cutie~!" The 'cutie' was in fact you—clearly. Kumiho was the flirtatious one of your group. And for the most part, you were the one she picked on the most. Whatever made her take a liking to you, you had no clue.

Werewolf, the last member of your band of ghost hunting friends, said nothing. But you weren't exactly expecting him to. There was something engraved in his mind, something inherently false, that told him he would only hurt you or your friends if he got too involved. You never bothered to change his mindset, as he seemed completely determined to believe it.