Chapter 8 - The Calling

Start from the beginning

Alie choked on her disbelieving laugh. "Save the Realm? You can't be serious."

"That is the role of the one who wields this sword."

Biting her lip, Alie shifted her weight uncomfortably from foot to foot. "I'm sorry. I certainly don't want this place to die; it's wonderful here. I mean, aside from the monsters and death in this particular world." She had trouble looking the girl in the eye. "But I can't be your hero. My friend and I aren't going to be here very long. We have to get home."

The woman straightened a little, a disapproving frown pulling at her soft lips.

"It-it's not that I don't want to do this," Alie insisted, taking a step back. "It's just, it's a rather big responsibility, and I don't think I could live up to your expectations."

The woman stood tall. Though wisps of her hair fell from her bun and her sleeves had been torn in several places, her stance and her glare demanded respect. "You must," she said simply. "It is why you are here."

Alie clamped her mouth shut. Was that true? Had the magic of the Realm called to her because it wanted her to be its savior? Unless... "What about you? Couldn't you do it?"

The woman smiled. It was a smile full of pain, regret, and longing. "No," she replied. "Even if I could leave this place, my calling is elsewhere." She held out the sword again, her gaze locked on Alie's. "You have answered magic's call up to this point, have you not? Why will you not accept its request now?"

Alie gazed down at the sheathed blade in the woman's hands, her fingers twitching with longing. She really had nothing to say to that. Everything she had done up to this point had been so fulfilling. Answering the magic's call made her feel so alive. But how far was too far? If she accepted this responsibility, how much would she be putting her life at risk? Would she ever be able to go home? Something about the offer seemed so permanent, like her entire life would change if she said yes.

But if she said no...

Dread dropped like an anvil into her stomach. Alie glanced over her shoulder, peering up at the shadow monster in the sky. The shape of it had changed. Instead of a thick layer of cloud cover, it now appeared more solidified. Its eyes were solid burning red spheres. Its grin morphed into rows of sharp teeth. It reached thin, slime-covered arms down toward her, claws growing from its stubby fingers and sharpening with every passing second.

"Destroy it, Ultimate Wielder," the woman said, her voice a command that the magic thrumming through Alie's being wanted nothing more than to obey.

Ultimate Wielder? So, the weapon had a name. Weapons with names had significance. Like Excalibur; Ascelon; Sting. They weren't just swords; they were legends.

Alie stared at the Ultimate. Her heart raced in her chest, drawing her breath short. Magic pulled her forward, propelled by the woman's words and her heart's longing. There was only one answer she could give. She was a fool to think she had a choice in the matter. Even so, there was nothing that she wanted more.

The moment her fingers curled around the sword, she knew there was no turning back. Whispers swam around her, speaking from a hundred different voices. They repeated a mantra over and over, like a curse, or an oath, or a lyric: "There is a weapon..."

Magic swelled over her, swimming through her blood as though it belonged there. It stimulated her senses, as if it had laid dormant all her life and finally woken up. This sword was a promise to the Realm. It was protection and justice and mercy. And by accepting the blade, Alie had taken that responsibility upon herself.

She stumbled back, the sword in hand, and stared in wonder at the woman in the archway. The woman lifted a smile, both an encouragement and a dare. "Save my Realm," she pleaded.

And then the gateway disappeared, and she with it.

The monster's growl above erupted into a deafening roar. The ground trembled and rolled. The wind struck her hard, sweeping her off balance.

Michael reached out and grabbed her. She looked up at him in alarm. Time must have unfrozen.

Which meant the monster could now eat them.

"What's wrong?" he shouted in her ear above the howling wind and the thundering roar.

"Nothing!" she screamed back. "This stone, it's special! It only opens doors!"

Darrel leaned in to hear her. "Doors to where?" He turned around, searching the barren landscape. "I don't see any doors."

"It's gone! It's already gone."

The last of Darrel's hope vanished from his eyes. "So, we're doomed?"

Alie stared down at the crystal in one fist, and the Ultimate in the other. Were they doomed?

She looked up at the Evil. It had taken the solid form of a giant beast, towering above them on all fours. Something between a cross of a bear and a panther, it stood at least three stories tall. It dripped acidic drool from its still grinning jaws, which sizzled and hissed when the droplets struck the earth. It rumbled ceaselessly from somewhere deep in its chest, like a purring cat.

And it watched Alie with a playful curiosity that terrified her.

But, there was still magic in the air. The crystal had expelled a massive amount of it when it opened the gateway. It still clung to the air and danced upon her skin, as vividly as it had for her in Safeton. She could imagine a shield, one that would withstand whatever attack the beast tried to strike them with.

If she shielded them long enough, the Evil would probably grow tired of them eventually and wander off in search of other people to destroy. Perhaps it would find a portal and terrorize another world. And if it found a town, it could kill hundreds. Maybe thousands.

No, a shield was not what they needed.

Clenching her jaw, she held the crystal out to Darrel. "Take this," she instructed, barely giving him enough time to reach out before dropping it into his hand. "I'll be right back."

Michael stepped into her path. "What do you think you're doing?"

Swallowing a lump in her throat, Alie drew the Ultimate from its scabbard. The blade hissed, ringing a song of excitement. The magic within it snaked up her arm, coaxing her forward. It wanted to fight. It wanted to protect.

She forced a nervous smile. "I'm going to answer my calling."