new years resolution

Only two weeks into the New Year had passed and Tibias had already broken his first resolution: Don't kill anyone. It was far from intentional, or so he thought. Everyone knew that this was in fact the opposite of intentional.

It all started with a single push and Tibias' discouragement to admit to his heinous crime, hiding the body. At least what was left of it.

Tibias had been taking long strolls around the small town that he was from as another one of his resolutions to stay in shape. He was about to cross the railroads that were just on the outskirts when he was stopped by Leonard, a local homeless man that was fond of Tibias, always asking for favors and with Tibias' kind heart, would always help a hand in need.

"Tibias, brother, I need a favor," Leonard always started off with.

Tibias jogged in place, smiling. "Anything for you, Leonard. What is it today?"

Leonard leaned his head in, as if someone else was watching. May I mind you, no one was watching. "I need a smoke," he whispered. "Maybe even a buck or two."

Tibias shook his head. "Sorry to upset you Leonard, but I don't have either of those today," Tibias admitted sincerely. "I'll be sure to bring it tomorrow afternoon."

Before Tibias could continue on his stroll, Leonard stopped him once more. "What do you mean tomorrow?" Tibias kept calm in the situation, even if Leonard's breath did smell and he was wrinkling the collar of his new track suit.

"I promise you I will have those tomorrow, Leonard. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get going." Tibias said, calmly.

As aggressive as Leonard was becoming and as hard ad Tibias tried to slip away, Leonard just wouldn't leave him be.

Tibias tried his hardest to walk away, apologizing but accidentally pushed Leonard onto the train tracks. Tibias gasped and took a few steps back as Leonard tried to get up but noticed that one of the many holes of his shirt was stuck to a bolt on the tracks. He cried for Tibias' help, but Tibias just kept back and watched as the train rode past, crushing the homeless man's body, blood flying everywhere.

Tibias couldn't believe that he had stood through it all and didn't feel the least bit apologetic. He pulled the body away from the tracks, piece by piece, throwing it into a nearby bush, hoping nobody noticed the screams and Tibias hiding the body.

He wiped his hands off on his track pants and raced home, taking a short cut for a change of clean clothes and continued on his stroll.

___________________

this assignment was an exercise to help me write in third person, something completely out of my comfort zone. i think it turned out well.

Comment your thoughts

Vote if you liked it.

feedback is a necessity for a writer